Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

More cooling issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2018, 02:40 PM
Technical Moderator

The gurgle is an air bubble.

Is coolant disappearing?

does it have a surge tank or a recovery tank?

What sort of "dealership"?
Old 04-17-2018, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by SamuelJ
I had my local dealership replace the water pump (I provided the part), and...well, it’s sort of better. I drove the car over an hour to the mountains last weekend, and while it didn’t overheat or come anywhere close to it, it still won’t cool down unless it drives above 2000rpm. The highest it got was 221. It cooled off especially well when I drove in low gear coming back down the mountains (cooled down to 187 while in low gear) The radiator fan still kicks in when it’s supposed to, but it doesn’t seem to help cool anything off. I am still hearing a very subtle gurgling/gushing sound from behind the dash when I press the gas pedal, but only sometimes. What do I look for next?
Man, it is a pain bleeding that air out of the system. -_- Believe me, I know. Some of the guys here have never had an issue with it, but again, my car loves a good fight. This is the tool that solved that issue for me. Rent it or buy it, up to you. I ran the cycle on this 3 times... Got a 25 CFM vacuum on the system twice, opened the valve and it sucked the coolant from the bottle to the cooling system.
No issues with air since. :)

Old 04-18-2018, 03:02 AM
geg

"subtle gurgling/gushing sound"? Maybe just a small amount of coolant?
When I had a constant coolant leak - "subtle gurgling/gushing sound" reminded me that it's time to top up another portion of the antifreeze
Old 04-18-2018, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by geg
"subtle gurgling/gushing sound"? Maybe just a small amount of coolant?
When I had a constant coolant leak - "subtle gurgling/gushing sound" reminded me that it's time to top up another portion of the antifreeze
What kind of has me weirded out is that, the dealer let him buy his own part and have them install it. I don't know about anywhere else but dealers refuse to do that here in Michigan.

I am wondering if they just replaced the water pump, topped off the radiator, and sent him on his merry ole way. Instead of flushing the system and bleeding the air out of the system like the manuel says to do... They have a tool, much like the one displayed in the picture above, to check for leaks, pull out all of the air, and fill the system back up.
Old 04-19-2018, 12:44 AM
geg

well what about

Everyone decides how to conduct his business
And everyone decides if he has a sufficient level of competence.

At us in the Urals, dealers also try to sell the "dealer" part to the client. This is a good salary.
That's why I serve my hippopotamus only in my friends shops. They are happy to give me some preferences and discounts in exchange for loyalty, because they know where in the future I will bring my next problem and my money.
Old 04-19-2018, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by geg
well what about

Everyone decides how to conduct his business
And everyone decides if he has a sufficient level of competence.

At us in the Urals, dealers also try to sell the "dealer" part to the client. This is a good salary.
That's why I serve my hippopotamus only in my friends shops. They are happy to give me some preferences and discounts in exchange for loyalty, because they know where in the future I will bring my next problem and my money.
It's typically a policy of GM not to do such things, due to liability issues. I would think that policy is "nation wide." But again, I am not a GM tech. So I am not sure. Just seems really weird.

He just needs to get that trapped air out. Only way I could do it was with that tool.
Old 04-19-2018, 07:15 AM
geg

Originally Posted by UWZerokoolX

He just needs to get that trapped air out. Only way I could do it was with that tool.
X2 its right