Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

oil change

Old 05-15-2018, 09:08 AM

oil change

i went and got oil for an oil change and once i got home i noticed i grabbed a 5w20 instead of a 5w30 will it be ok to use for this one time?
Old 05-15-2018, 09:24 AM
Platinum Member

If you read your owners manual it will specify what weight of oil to use - and yeah 5w30 is what is recommended. But it does say the exception to the rule is as follows:

"If you are in an area of extreme cold, where the
temperature falls below −20°F (−29°C), it is
recommended that you use either an SAE 5W-30
synthetic oil or an SAE 0W-30 oil. Both provide easier
cold starting and better protection for the engine at
extremely low temperatures."

So, the 5w20 is not listed at all. You might get away with using it, but then again, why take the chance? The Camshaft Actuator solenoids alone, might be a problem as they use oil pressure to adjust the camshaft timing, and oil weight might be a factor as well in their operation.

We had a member here advising the use of an oil designated for diesel engines if I remember correctly - and it was way out of specs for what GM advised. There is no way we could recommend that oil at all for obvious reasons.

So no, we really cannot give the nod of approval for running the 5w20. I'd go exchange it for the 5w30 stuff.
Old 05-15-2018, 01:41 PM
Technical Moderator

I would not worry about for a one time thing. If you get some VVT codes you know the cause.
Old 05-16-2018, 10:16 AM
geg

The number to "W" is the frost resistance of the oil. The number is a multiple of five, and the lower it is, the colder the weather for using oil.
The number after the hyphen is the heat resistance of the oil. Usually this number means the viscosity index at a temperature of 100 ° C (closest to the operating temperature of the engine oil). The higher the number, the higher temperatures the oil is ready.
Viscosity, by definition, is the resistance of oil to the flow. This is the most critical physical property of motor oil, as this affects the wear rate of engine parts and fuel consumption, and even the consumption of the oil itself.
thus, it is not recommended to use 5W-20 for HHR.
Go back to the store and change it.
Or give it to the owner of MAZDA - Mazda uses this formula
Old 05-16-2018, 08:31 PM
Platinum Member

Mazda, Ford & Mopars use 5w-20, but I will forever avoid the hi-mileage oil, wife picked up some hi-mileage oil from wally-world, as her Mopar has over 85K on it.

Since she already had it, I began her oil change & when pouring the hi-mileage oil in, it was kinda thick. I just proceeded to finish it up. Later she went out for test drive & came back with a ticking sound.
I immediately drained the oil & saved it in fresh container. I contacted the oil mfgr Castrol, & they said they are sending a shipping box etc to get a sample of the used oil & if I had any left in the 5 qt jug for analysis. I'm wondering if that jug was mis-labeled or what ?

Anyhow, I got the oil I use Mobil 1 Extended Perf, but in 5w-20 & new filter again. Finished & had her test it thoroughly, & this time it was quiet as usual.
Old 05-17-2018, 12:17 AM
geg

everything is possible in this world ..
for the sake of justice - I never heard that the inscription on the oil canister did not coincide with the contents

now I remembered the story of one unscrupulous dealer. This snake advised the owners of KIA to use the oil 5-W40. He said something like: "Hey guys, you like high-speed driving? For this, the standard oil is not good! Pour more dense!" As a result, the engine overhaul, and just after a while after the expiration of the warranty period.
They say there was a big scandal. But the parasite just pretended to be "incompetent".
Old 05-20-2018, 03:56 PM

i returned the 5w20 and got the 5w30 now just waiting on time to change it
Old 05-22-2018, 09:44 PM
Platinum Member

geg- I never heard of that mistake in labeling either. But the car was NOT happy.

Lesson learned, if get wrong oil, return it for correct stuff.

DIESAHL- That should make you feel better..