Chevy HHR Network

Chevy HHR Network (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/)
-   Maintenance and Upkeep (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/maintenance-upkeep-50/)
-   -   oil filter (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/maintenance-upkeep-50/oil-filter-13428/)

asherdav 02-26-2008 04:12 PM

oil filter

What a shock to find a element in the new filter box. Now where to put it? 2.2 08:lol: :lol:

Black Rose 02-26-2008 04:23 PM

Here's where to put it :lol:

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/maintenance-upkeep-50/how-change-your-own-oil-10546/

SIRESMERPH 02-26-2008 05:33 PM

you can take that filter of yours and stick it where the sun dont shine....

right up under the hood :D cus that's where it goes...yep!:cool:

Smoke Wagon 02-26-2008 08:25 PM

looks like the write up didnt mention replacing the o-ring on the filter cap.

I think the authoir just forgot to mention it, but the filter element should come with a new filter cap o-ring. Change that, and smear a little new oil around the o-ring to prevent any tearing as it goes in.

Lone Ranger 02-26-2008 08:34 PM

Why replace the o-ring if its still in good shape?

Smoke Wagon 02-26-2008 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by Lone Ranger (Post 241727)
Why replace the o-ring if its still in good shape?

...I always replace any o-ring when a new one is supplied. If it's subjected to corrosives, pressure, heat cycles, expansion and compression, and is made of silicone or rubber, all I ask is...

why NOT change it? The filter comes with a new one. And if the old one should fail, it'll cause a bigger mess than the current drain plug design ;)

Just my 2 cents.

oneton 02-26-2008 10:15 PM

Whats wrong with the current drain plug design???
Works just like all drain plugs, you have to hit the drain pan or get a bigger pan

Black Rose 02-26-2008 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by Smoke Wagon (Post 241725)
I think the authoir just forgot to mention it, but the filter element should come with a new filter cap o-ring. Change that, and smear a little new oil around the o-ring to prevent any tearing as it goes in.

The AC Delco filters that I buy do not come with an o-ring. I think only Wix filters come with the spare o-ring.

Snoopy 02-26-2008 11:35 PM

Thank you Black Rose....I was thinking the same thing.

Purchased a dozen Delco filters so far (shared with friends). NONE came with the "gasket". Not that it's not a bad idea.

Oh you know...I think if you purchase the Delco filter that comes with the filter cannister lid, they also provide the o-ring.

solman98 02-27-2008 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by Smoke Wagon (Post 241725)
looks like the write up didnt mention replacing the o-ring on the filter cap.

The Pure One filters I buy don't have the o ring. It also looked fine and sealed well since then. The o-ring itself does not touch oil.

hhrcrafty 02-27-2008 07:33 AM

You can also use blue RTV to seal the cap.

Smoke Wagon 02-27-2008 08:08 AM

Thanks gang. I have yet to do my first oil change on my used HHR(I too do my own work). But when I used to perform element changes on MBZ years ago, they always had a new o-ring. But of course, we used Wix filters, so that's probably why.

I also read somewhere that the NAPA gold line of filters come with o-rings.

I guess it's safe to say...if it aint broke, dont fix it.

as for the drain plug design...you can actually hold the drain pan up for a second in to the oil stream then let it down to the ground ;)

our race truck's drain stream aims right at the driver's side header collector...I have to wedge a piece of cardboard in between the header and the oil pan just to get the oil to fall, instead of fill my collector with old oil. But that's what I get for shoe-horning a race motor in to a vehicle that wasnt intended to have one ;)

Lone Ranger 02-27-2008 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by oneton (Post 241764)
Whats wrong with the current drain plug design???
Works just like all drain plugs, you have to hit the drain pan or get a bigger pan

It spews the oil out horizontally, initially. Huge mess. You have to guess where to position your drain pan to catch it, and I usually guess wrong.

Calls for a Fumoto drain valve w/ nipple for drain hose.

Smoke Wagon 02-27-2008 08:34 PM

I just hold the drain pan up to the drain plug, and then lower it in the right spot as the oil stream is located...

Just about every car out there either has an angled drain plug, or a horizontal one...this is to prevent it from getting damaged should the oil pan make any contact with something...

bigger drain pan, or a tranny pan funnel works great...or a "alabama creeper"(cardboard)

skyeglen 02-27-2008 09:55 PM

Smoke Wagon, you are correct, NAPA Gold oil filters, made by Wix, come with the O ring in every box. Picked up 3 last weekend @ $3.59 each and a cabin air filter for $8.96 when the local NAPA was having a sale.

SIRESMERPH 02-28-2008 12:45 AM

i've bought two wix filters from o'rielys and neither one came with any o rings :confused:

Smoke Wagon 02-28-2008 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by SIRESMERPH (Post 242100)
i've bought two wix filters from o'rielys and neither one came with any o rings :confused:

I've heard this about many retail parts stores...people go in an say their oil filter didnt come with an o-ring, so the employee grabs one off the shelf, robs it of ITS o-ring, and sends you on your way...guess what? the next guy(you) goes home with no o-ring.

Me, personally...I'd change it, if I had it.

Snoopy 02-28-2008 02:22 PM

You bet. It can't hurt anything ^^^^^^^^

2007OrangeHHRLT1 03-05-2008 06:19 PM

you just need to buy a K&N oil filter or a fram and they come with the o-ring....Only the best goes into my SS:thumb:

Franco Fanfuria 05-05-2010 01:32 PM

Does anyone know off the top of their heads what cup size is the bolt to remove the oil filter cover?

JoeR 05-05-2010 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by Franco Fanfuria (Post 462930)
Does anyone know off the top of their heads what cup size is the bolt to remove the oil filter cover?

32 mm or 1.25".... take your pic. Best a shallow one for clearance. Cheap is good, as this won't be stressed.

sleeper 05-06-2010 12:36 AM

Frank-
Most auto-parts stores have their brand socket for this.. You can ask to try it first then if good, buy it..

Franco Fanfuria 05-06-2010 08:30 AM

Thanks guys

jerry455 05-06-2010 08:53 PM

picked up a snap-on socket that is special made for eco-tec oil filter caps. it was probably more than some other brands but I have always used snap-on and they have never let me down. just did my 09 ls 2.2 oil change today, 4,900 miles 45% oil life left, last change sept. 15 '09. put in royal purple at 4,000 miles. I plan on keeping this car for quite a long time so I started using royal purple. used a delco filter, not sure if that is the best but I will have to search to see which filter is rated the best.

IgottaWoody 05-08-2010 10:36 PM

Don't understand why people buy syn oil then treat it like conventional..the main purpose of syn oil was to EXTEND oil change intervals.......even conv oils go over 5000 now....

sleeper 05-08-2010 10:39 PM

Woody- I'm all about extending the changes, but still won't go past 1 year no matter what earl is in the pan..