Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

Correct Windshield Wipers Position

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2018, 12:13 PM

Correct Windshield Wipers Position

Hi All,

I would like to ask a favor. Awhile ago I replaced the windshield wiper mechanism and don't know if I re-installed the wipers correctly. I don't really remember what they looked like before and didn't pay attention to those details.

Can someone post close up pics, looking straight toward the windshield, of what they should look like when off and if stopped when at maximum travel.

I put the bent one on the drivers side, which seems correct, but it looks like the passenger side is higher than normal when off. Also, this morning when I turned the key off with them in the most open position ( just randomly )and when looking at the car from outside the front, they just don't look right.

thanks
Old 03-07-2018, 12:34 PM
Technical Moderator

If you have the original windshield or some replacement windshields there are marks to indicate the position. You have to look very hard, they may look like a bubble in the glass or a black mark or something like that.

Another thought; you could scan through the gallery and look at members HHRs, there are hundreds if not thousands of photos posted. Just click on "Gallery" on the top nav bar.
Old 03-07-2018, 01:25 PM

I can confirm what donbrew pointed out. When I bought mine, the left wiper looked to me like it was parked too low, and didn't wipe enough of he windshield at the top of the swipe. I noticed there was a teeny little triangle/arrow at the center/bottom of the windshield. I figured this was a guide for the seniors/senoras when they assembled the vehicle. I removed the wiper arm, clocked it just a bit until it lined up with the carrot, and she's been right on the money ever since.
Old 03-07-2018, 02:22 PM

Old 03-07-2018, 03:17 PM
Technical Moderator

Whoever designed the park spot for them knew how to irk my OCD for things being straight.
Old 03-07-2018, 03:25 PM
Administrator

I use two of the same side wipers because of the same OCD issue

You can see the round dot at the end of the wiper

Old 03-07-2018, 06:23 PM

There are little bulls eye targets on the window (replacement by Safelite) and my wipers line up with them exactly on both sides. I still think that the passenger side sits too high in the off position. The funny thing is that I have noticed this for years and only today did I think to actually check into it.

Oldblue, did you use a drivers side on the passenger to make it sit lower ? My passenger is straight instead of bent like the drivers. Any issues with the swap. I could probably get one cheap at the local pick & pull.

I guess I could just rotate the existing one down a click and see ..

And yea, I has the OCD also ....

thanks everyone
Old 03-07-2018, 07:05 PM
Administrator

Yes, two drivers side wiper arms, a little old school style.
Old 03-07-2018, 10:36 PM
Technical Moderator

If you look real hard you can see it here:

Not all of the replacement glass has them, my last two did not.
Old 03-08-2018, 07:26 AM
Administrator

That is the OEM windshield.

Quick Reply: Correct Windshield Wipers Position