Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

Rear brakes

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2017, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by Oldblue
And rear end collisions!! Those rear brakes need to be adjusted correctly!!
The rear brake design isn't poo!!! It's the auto adjust mechanism not set or lubricated correctly!!
just wanted to quickly ask is it normal for the drums to be hotter than the front disks? I adjusted the rear brakes and after my hour commute home the drums got hot enough to heat up the rim to a point where the rear rims felt hotter than the front. Brakes work great and I get 3 spins out of the wheel after adjustment. Is this normal for drums to be hotter???
Old 01-06-2017, 02:49 PM
Administrator

3 spins, the brakes are too tight, back then off two clicks if the star wheel on the adjuster.
Old 01-06-2017, 02:56 PM
Platinum Member

Not normal if the rear brakes are that hot. Since the front brakes do about 70% of the braking, they generate more wear and heat. Although, the front discs design allows for it to dissipate the heat better.
Sounds like you may have the rears adjusted a little tight. Try jacking up the rear and do a spin test now.
I've adjusted rear drums on other cars before, only to have them mysteriously tighten up after driving them a few miles.
Old 01-06-2017, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
Not normal if the rear brakes are that hot. Since the front brakes do about 70% of the braking, they generate more wear and heat. Although, the front discs design allows for it to dissipate the heat better.
Sounds like you may have the rears adjusted a little tight. Try jacking up the rear and do a spin test now.
I've adjusted rear drums on other cars before, only to have them mysteriously tighten up after driving them a few miles.
just finished doing that. We're way tighter than I thought maybe I was too caffeinated when adjusting them yesterday lol. Had to use both hands to turn the wheel and it would only go for one spin Backed each side of a few clicks and can easily turn each with two fingers and the wheels spins free about 2.5 rotations.
Old 01-06-2017, 03:42 PM
Administrator

Try it and inspect for heat and drag , again
Old 01-06-2017, 04:49 PM
Technical Moderator

Sound like you may have missed the step ; depress brake pedal a few times, then check again.
Old 01-06-2017, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
Sound like you may have missed the step ; depress brake pedal a few times, then check again.
indeed I did miss it thank you. Well I went for a drive and both rear sides are ALOT cooler but the rear pass side is squeaking like it did before adjustment. And it is a bit hotter than drivers side.i think the cylinder may be shot because a year ago my father in law helped me replace both sides with new everything but cylinders. All went well until he was rushing and decided to press the brake pedal WITHOUT THE DRUM ON and the cylinder blew open. Luckily not enough to lose significant fluid. He squeezed it shut and it hasnt leaked fluid since but I bet that shortened it's life span significantly. I don't really wanna tackle the rears so I might just have to have me replaced in the future. For now I'll back the pass side off a click and hope for the best.
Old 01-06-2017, 06:07 PM
Technical Moderator

I wouldn't worry about the cylinders unless they are leaking. Back when brake cylinders were expensive rebuilding consisted of taking them apart, running a hone through them, then putting them back together with new rubber.

They hardly ever stick.
Old 01-06-2017, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
I wouldn't worry about the cylinders unless they are leaking. Back when brake cylinders were expensive rebuilding consisted of taking them apart, running a hone through them, then putting them back together with new rubber.

They hardly ever stick.
ugh damn I looked and on one side of that cylinder the brake dust and grime is a bit wet. Haven't lost fluid out of resevoir at all. Is it safe to replace one or do they need to be done in pairs. These things look to be about 18 bucks each!
Old 01-06-2017, 06:49 PM
Platinum Member

Inexpensive so it's always best to replace both sides. That way you know both are new.

Quick Reply: Rear brakes