Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

Replacing the Serpentine Belt

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 09:42 PM

cost me $20 plus the belt which i got from autozone.................cheap fix
Old 02-25-2013, 05:36 PM
Technical Moderator

Originally Posted by 'Lil Red Wagon
In some of the posts there is a pic of a herbor freight shortened tool with a hook on the end. What is the hook used for and where?
The problem is that there is not enough clearance under the hood to let the standard length tool do it's job, the hook is used to hold the tool in the "open" position while your knuckles are in jeopardy, usually to the hood support or any other easy spot, or just to grip if you are a "manly man".

Personally, I think that removing the motor mount and "borrowing" the tool from Advance/Zone/Pep/Oreilly is easier and faster and cheaper.
Old 02-25-2013, 09:32 PM

Hello HHR owners:

This is my first post, I have a request somewhere on this form I found a list of ECM codes can someone point me in the right direction. Iam trying to find the code for faulty gas cap. My check engine light is on with code of P0449, Iam trying to figure out if a bad gas cap is related

Thanks in advance for any help

Winger
Old 02-25-2013, 09:48 PM
Platinum Member

Welcome to the site.
It's a "Sticky" under: Problems/Service/Repairs
https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/problems-service-repairs-42/list-diagnostic-trouble-codes-2008-2010-hhr-14259/

P.S. In the future, don't put a new question at the end of an unrelated thread. Nobody will notice it there. Start a new thread for your question.
Old 03-03-2013, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
The problem is that there is not enough clearance under the hood to let the standard length tool do it's job, the hook is used to hold the tool in the "open" position while your knuckles are in jeopardy, usually to the hood support or any other easy spot, or just to grip if you are a "manly man".

Personally, I think that removing the motor mount and "borrowing" the tool from Advance/Zone/Pep/Oreilly is easier and faster and cheaper.
So you just put a jack under the engine and took out the motor mount? I had to buy the stupid tool from Oreilly and wasted the entire evening trying to make it work.

Better than this afternoon, though, when I loosened the bolt that held the tensioner in place then had my neighbor hold it down while I tightened it again. Yeah, that belt didn't stay in place long.

I may call the college and see if I can just use their lift for half an hour.
Old 03-04-2013, 07:22 PM
Technical Moderator

Originally Posted by musicmand
So you just put a jack under the engine and took out the motor mount?
Yes! put a piece of 2X4 between the jack and the oil pan.
Old 03-07-2013, 09:33 PM

Thanks donbrew and all you other folks, the info is the tops. I'm gunna take the mount off my hands are a little to meaty (nice term eh?) to squeeze down there with it in place. Up, Up and away!! I'll be back soon with some more questions. Thanks again!!!
Old 03-17-2013, 04:45 PM

Thumbs up Belt replacement

Used the floor jack and a piece of 2x4 under the oil pan (not too much pressure) and that has got to be the easiest way. Especially if you have "thick" (as my dr. describes me) hands and arms.
Old 06-04-2013, 09:30 AM

too SMALL of an area. not going to attempt this one..
Old 08-16-2013, 03:02 PM

This is how I tackled the belt tensioner. I found the hole for the 3/8" ratchet pretty useless, as none of my ratchet handles were small enough to fit in there. So I opened up the splash sheild under the car and wedged a long extension bar under the tensioner and on top of a floor jack. Then I just jacked up the end of the tensioner until there was enough slack.

This is the floor jack under the car, careful not to jack up under the frame.

Name:  IMG_5838_zps6eb9a0f1.jpg
Views: 4500
Size:  48.3 KB

This is the end of the extension under the tensioner, not under the pulley itself.

Last edited by RJ_RS_SS_350; 11-20-2017 at 06:03 AM.

Quick Reply: Replacing the Serpentine Belt