Chevy HHR Network

Chevy HHR Network (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/)
-   Maintenance and Upkeep (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/maintenance-upkeep-50/)
-   -   starter clicks before engaging- 3 times- (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/maintenance-upkeep-50/starter-clicks-before-engaging-3-times-53770/)

Rocket Dawg 05-06-2015 07:16 PM

starter clicks before engaging- 3 times-

Is my starter going out?

whopper 05-06-2015 07:20 PM

Without much info to go on, about all I can suggest is check your battery.

Lucky 05-07-2015 01:27 AM

Originally Posted by Rocket Dawg (Post 779112)
Is my starter going out?

It's possible but as stated check the battery first then further tests maybe needed to test the starter.

donbrew 05-07-2015 06:14 AM

Or, maybe it's just humming bad 80's pop lyrics. "Knock three times..."

Rocket Dawg 05-07-2015 06:17 AM

Battery is brand new about 2 months ago, so I dont think its that but i'll get it tested. i still have the original battery and can swap them out just to eliminate a bad battery. It just started doing this. I turn the key and I hear 3 clicks within 1 second then the starter engages. The clicks seem to be coming from the starter itself. I shut the engine off and try to get it to do it again and it wont do it right away for a couple of minutes. If i had to guess, I'd say the starter solenoid is clicking but at this point, I dont even know if it has a solenoid. Just wondering if it has a starter relay, or some other components that i should take a look at or if it is a common problem thing.

Oldblue 05-07-2015 11:16 AM

Not a common problem , but also check the ground wires at the transmission and the rad cradle if they are loose it could be the problem!

And Don ... Tony Orlando and Dawn sang that pop song back in the early to mid seventies, I tried to forget it too, but my Aspergers made me, correct ya'll, so sorry!

black Tara 05-07-2015 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by Oldblue (Post 779179)
Not a common problem , but also check the ground wires at the transmission and the rad cradle if they are loose it could be the problem!

And Don ... Tony Orlando and Dawn sang that pop song back in the early to mid seventies, I tried to forget it too, but my Aspergers made me, correct ya'll, so sorry!

Sorry Oldblue used to be a DJ, He can't help himself.. lol

Rocket Dawg 05-08-2015 08:28 AM

Now I got that song stuck in my head, gee thanks lol
Drove the car yesterday to autozone to pick up a spare relay ($13) No clicks on the first start. Bought the relay, again no clicks. Drove about 1/4 mile, went into another store and it clicked when I started it. Drove home, open the relay box and the relay is twice the size of the original one. Plugged it in and the car didn't do anything, no clicks no starter spinning, removed relay spun it 180 and plugged it in--nothing-- So i put the stock one back in. Next I checked the battery connections-- Positive nice and tight, negative nice and tight. Just about to close everything back up till I saw the negative cable was about 10 inches long attached to a steel piece. Ahh loose as a goose. Got the 13 mm wrench out and it took about 1.5 turns to make it tight.
didnt have time to take it for a huge test ride but it started 10 times w/o any clicks.
Fingers crossed that is was the culprit.

LawDog88 05-08-2015 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by donbrew (Post 779160)
Or, maybe it's just humming bad 80's pop lyrics. "Knock three times..."

Originally Posted by black Tara (Post 779199)
Sorry Oldblue used to be a DJ, He can't help himself.. lol

Oh my goodness you guys. Too funny.

Rocket Dawg, hoping that cured your problem! Let us know if it persists!

Rocket Dawg 05-08-2015 08:55 AM

Oh yeah, I'll report back with either good news or bad.