Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

Storing in a Heated Garage

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2010, 11:04 AM

Storing in a Heated Garage

Ok..so this is also more of a general question than directly HHR, because we're not sure which car we're going to park in the garage this year...

First off, we have a few cars we park for the winter, and they always would go to my grandpa's who has a pole barn where we keep them for the winter. Well this year we have one more car, so we don't have room there...so we have to keep one at our house, in our heated garage.

You think that would be great, right? Well, I'm concerned about the humidity. We wash cars quite a bit in the winter, and the humidity levels get quite high in there. Is this something to be concerned about you think? We talked about putting the HHR in the garage since it's smaller... Well it doesn't have rust on it yet (besides the door bottoms) So do you think it would matter anyways, rust or no rust? If we put my dad's truck it doesn't really matter to me...

Am I just over thinking things? Do you think the humidity would hurt the car/truck, or not really matter at all?
Old 10-17-2010, 12:35 PM

A lttle humitity should not be an issue as a heated garage drys faily fast in most cases. Depends how often you wash cars or melt snow off of other cars.

Keep in mind moisture is still a problem in a non heated garage. Often when the cars are cold and the air warms moisture will form on the cars. In the winter my Pontiac's engine can get water drops all over it as the temp changes. The cold engine and warmer moist air leave a lot of moisture on the car and engine. This is why non stainless exhaust rust out on parked cars.

Ceiling fans can circulate air and also help in either case. Air flow and ventilation is key.
Old 10-17-2010, 12:42 PM

Yeah, it's humid almost all the time, since the garage is always closed up, it never really dries out. Plus with 3 cars, we're always washing something... I do know they get some moisture in the barn, because they get water spots on them, and yeah, you can tell the engine also gets some too. Doesn't usually happen until spring or so, once the temp starts fluctuating a little more.

Only difference about being in the heated garage at home is the fact that we'll be there to take care of anything, like if it is wet or anything I can dry it off, spray wax it, start it up every once in a while... In the barn they usually get started once in the winter is all...

Don't know if it makes a difference, but I read a rumor somewhere that parking on carpet can help deter moisture, so I do that as well. Not sure if it helps, but it doesn't hurt.... My dad used to work at a furniture store, so we have some rolls of carpet I roll out, then just drive onto. Plus it works good for oil/tranny leaks.
Old 10-17-2010, 03:58 PM
Platinum Member

OK.I know I'm gonna feel stupid for asking, but why do you wash cars indoors? I'm just a born and raised Southern boy and this must be a Northern thing I don't know about.Seriously.
Humidity! We're experts down here.I've seen my shop walls sweat inside many times.We just live with it unfortunatly.
Old 10-17-2010, 04:05 PM

You should NEVER store YOUR car in a heated garage..........

You should store MINE there and let me drive yours all winter, then you don't need to worry about this whole humidity deal.
Old 10-17-2010, 04:26 PM

Heated garage, Now thats dreamin !
Old 10-17-2010, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by Greybeard999
You should NEVER store YOUR car in a heated garage..........

You should store MINE there and let me drive yours all winter, then you don't need to worry about this whole humidity deal.
Old 10-17-2010, 05:25 PM

Fireman- When it's 20 degrees outside, it's not very convenient to wash a car outside....that's why we have a heated garage. My dad decided to have one built about 7 years ago, really nice!

Very funny greybeard....
Old 10-17-2010, 05:53 PM
Rest In Peace

What kind of Heat to you have?

Propane heaters will produce moisture and fumes, those torpedo types.

My garage is fully Insulated and I have a hung from the ceiling Natural Gas forced air unit, like you see hung in typical shops.

Do you heat all the time or only while your in it? That would create alot of moisture if your only heating when your using the garage, I keep mine running all winter at 60 degrees if i'm not in it and run it up to 72 when I am.

I have alot of woodworking machines new stuff and my collection of Vintage Delta machines, that means Alot of Bare Metal cast iron surfaces, moisture would Rust them up Quickly if I allowed for large temp. swings.

The natural gas heating is a Dry heat, we run Humidifiers in winter in the house to keep some moisture in the air and keep wood furniture from drying and cracking. I don't run any in the garage as I want it Dry in there.

I run a large AC window unit in the garage in the summer to help comtrol humidity.
Sadly my HHR won't be sitting in the garage this year, I collected to many Vintage Delta machines to get it in.

Looking to buy a small shop building in the near future. Then most of the woodworking stuff will go to use there.

Before I got into woodworking I kept the '55 Chevy in there and set it at 65 all winter. Never had a rust problem. It is now in my parents heated garage.

This is the brand/type heater I have. Menards sold them, not sure if they still do, mine was rated for a 3 car garage, mine is smaller at 22x24.

http://www.beacon-morris.com/html/garage_heater_bru.asp
Old 10-17-2010, 06:24 PM

That is similar to the heater we have. It's hung from the ceiling in the corner. We only run it when we're in there, but that's most every day. So it's not on all the time, and in the daytime it will cool down in there to about outside temp, but in the evening if we go out there we turn it on to about 60 or so. It is a fully insulated garage as well.

I tried putting a dehumidifier in there once, but it really didn't work. Don't know why, but it would never pick up any moisture....

Quick Reply: Storing in a Heated Garage