Chevy HHR Network

Chevy HHR Network (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/)
-   Maintenance and Upkeep (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/maintenance-upkeep-50/)
-   -   Tranny Fluid (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/maintenance-upkeep-50/tranny-fluid-603/)

jerij 01-08-2006 08:21 PM

Tranny Fluid

The Chevrolet/owners website will print off a "maintenance" schedule for you. One of the links is what to do at each fill-up, another is for monthly check. The monthly check says to check the tranny fluid monthly.
Well.... I couldn't find a dipstick for it. And I'm not automobile challenged.

jerij

SIHHR 01-08-2006 08:26 PM

There is no dipstick. Its something the dealer would have to check.

captain howdy 01-08-2006 08:27 PM

Page 5-19 of the manual says you dont have to check it. I dont think there is one.

jerij 01-08-2006 08:28 PM

Good, I feel better.

jerij

jerij 01-08-2006 08:38 PM

* Make sure the safety belt reminders light and all your belts, buckles, latch plates, retractors, and anchorages are working properly.
* Look for any other loose or damaged safety belt system parts. If you see anything that might keep a safety belt system from doing its job, have it repaired. Have any torn or frayed safety belts replaced.
* Look for any opened or broken air bag coverings, and have them repaired or replaced.
* Inspect wiper blades for wear or cracking. Replace blade inserts that appear worn or damaged or that streak or miss areas of the windshield.
* Silicone grease on weatherstrips will make them last longer, seal better, and not stick or squeak. Apply silicone grease with a clean cloth. During very cold, damp weather, more frequent application may be required.
* Check the transaxle fluid level; add if needed.

Just so ya didn't think I was nuts.

jerij

SIHHR 01-08-2006 08:49 PM

I read something very simliar to that before from consumer reports.

kodak_jack 01-09-2006 04:00 AM

Tranny Fluid

What does the manual/service schedule say about frequency of changing the fluid? My Taurus says every 25,000 miles. If you don't do it yourself because it's such a bit## to do, a dealer gets $150 (that includes the fluid in the torque converter too). If you keep the vehicle 100,000 miles, that's $600 or 1/2 the cost of a rebuild!!!!!
My sons both had Cavaliers and there was only a cap on the top to add fluid through. I guess GM has finally perfected a transmission that never needs attention - until you have to call for a tow. :eek:

captain howdy 01-09-2006 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by kodak_jack
My sons both had Cavaliers and there was only a cap on the top to add fluid through. I guess GM has finally perfected a transmission that never needs attention - until you have to call for a tow. :eek:

It's the same way on the HHR, add only. I don't have my manual with me right now or I would check how frequently you are supposed to add fluid. I think you are supposed to add fluid like every 50,000 miles but I could be wrong. I wonder how I am supposed to add fluid to something without a dipstick? :confused:

72Mark 01-09-2006 08:02 AM

I am nearly positive that the HHR has a sealed transmission (for the automatic) meaning that you can't check it or change it. Dealer service required.

captain howdy 01-09-2006 08:08 AM

Its not completely sealed, you can still add fluid. I posted that it was sealed and retracted it because it can't be sealed if there is a place to add fluid. Its that way for both the manual and automatic.