Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

Transmission fluid change is easy

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 12:26 PM
Administrator

oh oh !, sounds like he didn't get the correct Dex VI or maybe he hit a very good sale!
Old 08-28-2014, 01:18 PM

Vavoline Dex VI for sure.
Meijer in Grand Rapids Mi. they always have sales.
2 weeks ago, Vavoline fully synthetic 5w30 was $5 off each when you buy 2 ( savings $10 on the 5 quart containers) roughly $24 per 5 quart container.
Purolator filters were on sale that week too, $7.50 down to $5.
I have the next oil change ready to go on my shelf.
Old 08-20-2017, 09:27 AM

Absolutely puzzled

Originally Posted by desertrat
I did a transmission service on my 2007 HHR today for the first time. 85,000 miles, and as far as I know this is the first maintenance. I bought the car with 41K, and have never had a problem with anything. It's a great car!
First, buy a filter and 7 quarts of Dexron VI. Wal-Mart has the best price on all oil, not just transmission fluid.
Jack up the front, place a drain pan under the transmission, and start loosening bolts (8mm) towards the front and let it start to drain. Remove the pan and clean it up. Save the gasket, you will re-use it.
Replace the filter, there are no holding screws or bolts.
Replace the pan and torque the bolts to spec. It doesn't take much!
The fill plug is under the hood, to the left of the relay box. Look under the harness. Removing the air intake make it easier. The fill plug is just a black plastic cap that is on finger tight, you don't need tools. Don't confuse this with the inspection plug, which is further to the left. It is NOT threaded.
Insert a funnel with a long tube into the fill hole. Add 6 3/4 quarts.
Jack up the rear of the car so it is level. Start it up and run it through the gears with your foot on the brake at all times, idle speed. Leave in park with the funnel still in the hole.
Idle until the temp is at normal, around 187. Run through the gears several times, and leave in park. Leave the engine running.
Jack stands must be under all 4 corners of the car!
With an 11mm wrench, remove the plug that is on the passenger side of the transmission near the output shaft. It is about 3" above the pan, and is by itself. It is obviously the plug where you check the fluid level.
Wear safety glasses, and remove the plug (engine running). If no oil comes out, add more until oil comes out. Reinstall the plug with the engine still running (if you shut off the engine you will lose a lot of fluid!).
Once the plug is back in you can shut the engine off and replace the fill plug. Check for leaks. Lower the car and drive it a mile or two to see if it shifts OK. Have a beer. Nothing to it!
I plan to add a transmission oil cooler in the near future, I'll post something on that. I plan to use hoses with the correct factory fittings so it looks and function like GM designed it.
I have a 2006 HHR, I drained the tranny & put a new filter & gasket in..when finished I tried adding fluid but apparently the location of what I thought was the spot to fill it is wrong..I looked all over for a black cap like everyone has shown in vids but my car doesn't have 1, all that was in the location of where it should b was a rubber plug like gasket that def wasn't it..does anyone have a 2006 HHR LT that could show me a good pic of where I need 2 put this fluid? Need it done asap.
Old 08-20-2017, 10:10 AM
Technical Moderator

The black bit, it is actually a vent, in this photo:

Old 08-20-2017, 11:02 AM
Platinum Member

A bigger shot of Don's picture above.
Name:  074T45MN5LoR.jpg
Views: 1660
Size:  30.5 KB
Old 08-20-2017, 11:51 AM

Puzzled

The vent on top of transmission was all I could find unless chevy has the filler cap hidden under a ton of wires in that area..gonna look again when I get home
Old 08-20-2017, 12:33 PM
Technical Moderator

It is the vent, as I said above. It is under a bunch of wires, as in the photo above. It just unscrews by hand.

There may be a large 2 or 2 1/2 inch plug on the top, that is not it.

Sorry if the photos are not good enough. What might be confusing is the orientation; the torque converter faces the engine on the driver side; the level plug is on the passenger side. The gearbox is behind the motor.
Old 08-24-2017, 01:03 PM
Banned

Hey, any pics of the ATF level CHECK plug?
That facsimile copy above does me no good with regards to the check level plug.. The red arrow points to the corner of the pan?
Old 08-24-2017, 01:24 PM

From our friends in Belarus

Old 08-24-2017, 04:31 PM
Administrator

It's an eleven mm plug.

Quick Reply: Transmission fluid change is easy