Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

Weird Wax Thing

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 11:33 PM

Weird Wax Thing

I keep my cars waxed all ways have ! Its been raining here like every other place mostly and I look out at my HHR today and the whole car is beading up nice BUT the damn HOOD got me scratching my head I been using Meguries top of the line stuf for years and Never had a problem befor .

I can't belive a little heat from the engine did anything ! And it has 2 good coats of wax on it . The rest of the car is fine . You folks got any ideas ?

Strange if you ask me ! Iam just gona wash the HHR and then wax the hood again and see what happens bout all can think of . no reason just the hood is not beading ......
Old 05-26-2011, 01:16 AM
Deceased

Has the hood been repainted?
Old 05-26-2011, 02:05 AM

Originally Posted by 843de
Has the hood been repainted?
Nope that iam sure of ! I looked again and it seems that the back half toward the windshield is ok beading like normal front half is not . Maybe I got somthing on it around here with all this damn road construction and other crapola . lots a toxic junk out there now days who knows . But its my first project around here befor the big weekend right after cutting the grass .May end up just being one of lifes little mysterys .
Old 05-26-2011, 05:42 AM

I know the heat from my SS is high enough the hood drys fast. THe rest of the car can be beaded but the hood will be almost dry in minutes.
Old 05-26-2011, 07:40 AM

Heat can cause wax to fail premature. So even having 2 coats on it the heat build up can eventually cause it to fail. Mix that with all the rain you've gotten and that's probably why.

Also with all the rain you've gotten the way the HHRs are it seems as though the front of the hood really takes a beating with bugs, rain, whatever it may be. Lots of driving in the rain can make wax fade as well.

I'd suggest using a sealant (Menzerna Powerlock is my choice but there are tons to choose from) then topping it with your wax. Or use something that is a hybrid that has better durability. Megs Gold Class wax (don't know if this is what your using) has good durability, but something like Collinite 845 (hybrid wax/sealant) has great durability and is cheap. It will help stand up to the heat and the constant beating the front of the hood takes.
Old 05-26-2011, 11:21 AM

I would try clay bar the hood then wax?
Old 05-26-2011, 03:58 PM

Can't explain it but now today its beading like normal ! Wasn't heat the car has not moved in 2 or 3 days . Living next to a steel mill and a coal fired power plant god only knows what could of gotten on it .
Seems what ever it was we have had enough rain to wash it off and now seems ok.
Old 05-26-2011, 06:02 PM

Could have been how the rain came down and if it stopped fast. Sheeting action can make wax not been and the water run off.

If you are using Meg wax with a carnuba there is little that can hurt it. This is the hardest wax there is. Same for others like Mother California Gold etc. Nothing else last longer.
Old 05-26-2011, 07:58 PM

I agree Iam using Meg and NEVER a problem ! I think it was the sheeting action from hard rain and the angle it was parked maybe . couldn't be much else because I moved it off the small incline and its beeding like I expect it to .
Old 05-27-2011, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by pipes
I agree Iam using Meg and NEVER a problem ! I think it was the sheeting action from hard rain and the angle it was parked maybe . couldn't be much else because I moved it off the small incline and its beeding like I expect it to .
Yep. It is like taking the nozzle off the hose and just running it on the paint. It will leave little water on the car. It is a old detailers trick to help cut the water for drying.

It is a sign of a good wax.

Quick Reply: Weird Wax Thing