Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

What is better Wix Oil filter or A/C Delco?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 12:30 PM

Talking What is better Wix Oil filter or A/C Delco?

I did my first oil change this weekend and I have been wondering what is better. The Oreiley guy he stated that I should go with Wix Oil filter cause Nascar use them. He told me that AC delco is just as good as Fram filters. Also when I looked at the AC Delco filter it does not come with the O ring for the Oil cap. Has anyone ran into that issue? The fram filters they do come with the O ring. Also the WIX oil filter. Is it necessary to change that O ring?

I bought the O ring seperately and the AC delco since its OEM but as of today I am still wondering what is the best oil filter to use.

Also I added 5 QTS of oil and the dipstick showed half way is that normal?

how much does the 2009 HHR 1LT engine take?

Thanks

John
Old 06-28-2010, 01:31 PM

I always use AC Delco. Always have, and always will with all of my cars. I've had a bad experience on a friends car that I changed the oil with Fram, and never really cared for them anyways. As far as the "O" ring, I've never replaced it since I bought my HHR. Well, I take that back. The dealer had the filter with a new cap all as one piece he said GM is now selling and trying to sell instead of just the filter, and that comes with the new ring. I bought that since I stripped the top of the cap, so I needed a new one anyways. I usually just put some oil on the ring to be safe, and I've had no problem.

As for amount of oil, it takes 5qts. I hate that dipstick...it's hard to read. Half the time it looks like i have too much oil in, but I drain the oil overnight usually, and then refill.
Old 06-28-2010, 01:44 PM

Till Amsoil comes up with a "EA" syn filter for our application, I'll probably use wix filters. As an Amsoil dealer I get the wix from amsoil when I put in my oil orders.
Old 06-28-2010, 01:56 PM

NAPA Gold
Old 06-28-2010, 02:14 PM

Wix have always been good filters. They used to weld a nut on the end of the canister filters. Fram has been one of the lower rated filters through the years. It's nice when you get the o-ring with the filter, but it really isn't necessary to changee it every time. AC makes a good filter. You can't go wrong with original equipment.
Old 06-28-2010, 02:40 PM

Shoot, use either one. It won't make any difference in the end.

There are more important things in life than obsessing over an oil filter.

BTW, NAPA Gold filters are WIX.
Old 06-28-2010, 04:44 PM

If AC is good enough for GM it is good enough for me.
Old 06-28-2010, 04:51 PM

Might as well be a ,"Pepsi or Coke", thread...
Old 06-28-2010, 05:18 PM

Wix is a good filter, so is AC Delco, but I would sure not use Fram.
Old 06-28-2010, 05:34 PM

Going with a part because "its used in nascar" is the worst reason to buy a part. Sure nascar might use a wix filter but is specifically engineered for that race car and not bulk produced like what you might get at O'reilys.

I wont put wix down but saying ACDelco is the same as fram is laughable. ACDelco is made to OE specs and uses proprietary information to build that part to spec that no other filter company has.

Quick Reply: What is better Wix Oil filter or A/C Delco?