Mid East MI, IN, OH, KY, WV, VA

Looking to buy a 2009 HHR...

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 11:33 PM

Looking to buy a 2009 HHR...

Greetings,

I'm looking to join the HHR community here with purchasing a used 2009 HHR LS from a GM dealer in my area, I think I might have found the right one (at least from the eight hours I looked around and the hours I spent looking online) not perfect but acceptable. According to the vehicle history report the title is clean though of course I'm still going to have it checked out before buying though they really liked to hammer home the 117 point check on a certified vehicle even though a significant portion of for the bumper to bumper warranty is apparently going to simply overlap with what remains of the original 36k/3yr warranty instead of extending (though I know the 12k/1yr warranty is more limited). Of course I still plan on having it checked out by a certified mechanic not affiliated with the dealer. They also kept trying to hammer home how much they were selling it under the Blue Book and NADA guide prices (and even close to the trade in value!) while playing a bit dumb when I asked what the Black Book gave for a price when they bought it at auction. Possibly a mistake but at this point I was getting tired, especially after spending an hour at another dealer that wouldn't shut up.

So yeah, was a fleet vehicle.... Yes, one of the many rentals flooding the HHR used market, around 30,000 miles and the worst clash of exterior/interior that I've seen in a long time, it looked a little better inside but outside my eyes were bugging out on how out of place the cashmere interior looked in relation to the dark tone of the vehicle. No significant damage from what I could see on the exterior, might have had a scratch or two somewhere but aside from that I didn't detect any signs of significant or minor damage in terms of the body, engine, ect or repairs.

I have a price in writing for a bit over 10,000 (before taxes and fees) for it, more than 1,500 less than the original asking price and I'm sure I could negotiate at least a bit lower since they had have had it awhile along with other issues, they say they've had it over 30 days, I say roughly two months plus according to the title records, if they're totally up to date unless they're holding title info back. Also I think I hit close to home on my initial offer in terms of what they likely got the car for from the reaction I got from it that eventually resulted in the 10k range. But $10,000 was still in my goal range, should I have kept trying to aim lower? I kept holding back on an analogy regarding new a car used as a rental for year I was going to use but out of good taste I didn't use it since it certainly wasn't "family friendly".

Might try to see if I could get some things thrown in as well or if they won't go lower, if they could re-enable the remote start function that would be nice, I know I could possibly do it from what I've read on here but that would void their warranties, wouldn't it? Possibly a mat for the back to at least cover up the scrapes on the main storage cover from people and their luggage. A year of On Star and/or XM could be nice. Or a further extension of the bumper to bumper warranty.

Admittedly this is the first time I've had to deal with car salesmen (please excuse my newbiness) and some of the issues are bugging me a tad, I'm sure the typical issues I'm sure everyone who's bought a car and done a ton of research knows when dealing with them, I might have done too much since my brain started to explode with getting things out. But I'll sleep on it and go from there, sleep I certainly need.
Old 08-06-2010, 11:39 PM
Platinum Member

Welcome...

I would say to take your time & look at others too.... Buyers market these days.
Old 08-07-2010, 02:26 AM
jx3

Name:  welcome-1-1.gif
Views: 11
Size:  38.2 KB

And good luck w/ your negotiations.