Mid East MI, IN, OH, KY, WV, VA

Vacation in KY

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 08:49 PM

Vacation in KY

Maybe some of you from KY can help me out. The wife would like to make a family vaction this coming summer in your state. Any recomendations for a family of 4 (wife, 2 young daugters + me of course)? Any help would be appreciated.
Old 02-03-2010, 08:51 PM

I'm not from Kentucky but I remember one place my parents took us for a trip. Mammoth Caves. It was a pretty cool place

Last edited by HillsdaleHHR; 02-03-2010 at 09:49 PM.
Old 02-03-2010, 09:00 PM

I'll be spending another week in KY soon -- primarily the Louisville and Western KY area. Louisville has some great museums, the Slugger museum is a must-see as is the Ali museum. The riverboat (I forget its name) should be back up (it crashed when I went last October, so we took a different one). That is fun too.

Will get a chance to see more this 2nd trip out, but so far, I like the place (probably moving there in two years, so gotta like it).

It is very pretty, regardless.

@
Old 02-04-2010, 06:35 AM

Mamoth Caves very KOOL !!!
Old 02-04-2010, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by SHADOW(IN)
Mamoth Caves very KOOL !!!
Literally...about 55 deg. as I remember (bring a jacket).

If you're car-crazy (), the Corvette Museum in Bowling Green is highly rated and the state's premier monthly cruise-in is held in Somerset. www.SomernitesCruise.com

If military history appeals to you, the Patton (as in General) Museum at Fort Knox has an outstanding collection of tanks and armor displays dating back to WWI.

Kentucky also has several nice State Resort Parks with good food and clean rooms/cabins with very reasonable rates (at least for residents - don't know about furriners).
Old 02-04-2010, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by Mike B.
Literally...about 55 deg. as I remember (bring a jacket).

If you're car-crazy (), the Corvette Museum in Bowling Green is highly rated and the state's premier monthly cruise-in is held in Somerset. www.SomernitesCruise.com

If military history appeals to you, the Patton (as in General) Museum at Fort Knox has an outstanding collection of tanks and armor displays dating back to WWI.

Kentucky also has several nice State Resort Parks with good food and clean rooms/cabins with very reasonable rates (at least for residents - don't know about furriners).
Hmm...may have to add that Corvette museum to my list of places to see in a few weeks.
Thanks--anymore suggestions?
Old 02-04-2010, 03:30 PM

In Clermont, KY home of JIM BEAM Dist. ( free top shelf Bourbon Tasting ) + Beam store ! neet little stop. Been There Done That !
Old 02-04-2010, 03:31 PM

Corvette Museum is pretty cool but if you go, you MUST make time to take a tour of the factory across the street. Mammoth Caves is nice. Red River Gourge is great if you like hiking. Lake Cumberland is always a great get away in the summer if you like the outdoors. If you go to Louisville, there are some great restaraunts just across the river in New Albany, Indiana...I must suggest Rocky's.
Old 02-04-2010, 04:40 PM

Great ideas guys, thanks. If you could think of a few more kid friendly things it would help.

Funny you should mention Jim Beam and Corvettes-I am looking at an unopened Decantor on my shelf of 100 Month Old Kentucky Straight Whiskey bottled in 1987 (obviously older than 100 months now) in the shape of a 1963 Vette (Red) with real rubber turning wheels and chrome hubcaps!
Old 02-06-2010, 02:00 PM

I think there is a SixFlaggs in LVille? That's pretty kiddo friendly.

Quick Reply: Vacation in KY