Mods - Engine/Exhaust EngineCompartment/Exhaust Discussions. (Non-Performace)

looking for honda sounding exhaust - do they make it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 03:33 AM

looking for honda sounding exhaust - do they make it?

I am looking for an exhaust that most hondas have. not sure EXACTLY the sound im going for. I heard a subaru with a throaty-ish sound which was pretty sweet

also wondering if I could just find a used one and make/have adapters welded to fit? would this de-tune it?
Old 01-21-2012, 08:28 AM
Deceased

Gosh, where to start. If you're looking for a mellow yet throaty sound with a bit of a bark starting around 4,000 rpm, I can recommend either the GM Performance Parts exhaust system, or the Magnaflow system.

Both are "cat back" complete setups that look great and sound great. I have the GMPP systems on my 2007 and 2011, and the Magnaflow on the 2006. The biggest difference is a bit more harshness in the Magnaflow setup, but my wife likes it and she primarily drives the '06.

Neither system comes cheap, expect to spend $500 at a bare minimum with shipping etc.

Now if you're looking for that nasty buzzing sound made by the silly Honda's we have around Charlotte with the "fart can" mufflers and the exhaust tips big enough to stick your head into, can't help ya there man.

Try the "Search" function in the toolbar up at the top of the page for "exhaust" and you'll see there are more ways to do up a system on an HHR that you might have imagined.

Last edited by 843de; 01-21-2012 at 11:27 AM.
Old 01-21-2012, 08:33 AM

Presonally, from what I've seen/heard, 'most' Hondas have stock exhaust and I'd have no clue what the Subaru you heard would sound like. If you're looking for that 'rice' sound, as 843de mentioned, I really can't help because I have no experience with that and thus wouldn't know what type of a system to suggest. Would you really put used exhaust on your car? I might consider that 'maybe' on an old junkyard dog like my Ford Ranger but not on anything I actually cared about or had any 'real money' invested in.

Last edited by db/sb; 01-21-2012 at 10:02 AM.
Old 01-21-2012, 10:35 AM
Platinum Member

and to the guys above.
Old 01-21-2012, 12:27 PM

my plan was to herra frush my hhr lol...

slam it really low, big exhaust tip, fart can sound (but not a cheap sounding one, something decent)

unless you guys have other suggestions on ways to make it not-stock...
Old 01-21-2012, 12:33 PM
Deceased

Now if you're looking for the epitome of a "slammed" HHR, look no further than the member known as lunchbox....check out this thread...he can rear end earthworms.

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/featured-hhr-submissions-43/august-2010-featured-hhr-lunchbox_mafioso-30609/

The "Search" function will help you find his other threads, rear ending earthworms is meant as a compliment, his HHR is over the top in so many ways.
Old 01-21-2012, 02:57 PM

depending on how you plan to achieve the flush look, also be aware we can't do the rear camber for the crazy fitment like you see in the import scene. rear beam axle doesn't work that way. i am a big fan of the import scene myself, and while i don't own one, i have MANY friends with imports of all sorts, euro and asian alike.

now as for the "import sound" you said you want, good luck achieving the Subaru sound. that rumble you mentioned is known as "boxer rumble" and is achieved through the very unique exhaust design on the flat 4-cyl engines. it is due to their unequal exhaust manifolds, and you would have to have a custom 1-off manifold made for your car to even begin to achieve that same sound. for more of the typical import sound, you could try ordering a universal muffler from someone like HKS and having a custom midpipe made at your local muffler shop. find a muffler you like the look of, or if you have any friends with tuners, see what sounds good to you, and ask what brand their exhaust is, and look that company up online and look for a universal application muffler. there aren't a lot of cat-backs out there for HHRs, and to the best of my knowledge there aren't any with the "tuner style" angled tip and big can body. i've thought about trying a universal HKS Carbon Power muffler on mine at some point, because i love mixing styles from the various car scenes, but i haven't the money to experiment like that at this point in life.

as for stance, your best bet will be bags, as there are owners on here with the few coilovers for us, and are fully dropped out and can't get quite low enough. the HHR is certainly a slow blooming market, and doesn't have a lot of fantastic options. custom is key.

good luck, i hope i was helpful.