Chevy HHR Network

Chevy HHR Network (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/)
-   Mods - Exterior (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/mods-exterior-55/)
-   -   Halo's for DRL? By-passing low beams (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/mods-exterior-55/halos-drl-passing-low-beams-46575/)

jczboy 06-14-2013 01:47 PM

Halo's for DRL? By-passing low beams

I'm in the middle of making my new headlights. And I started to wire some things up. I was thinking I might want, just the halo's for my DRL and not to the projectors. According to the wiring diagram after the DLR relay and through the fuse a PPL wire connects to the low beams. I'm assuming it's under the fuse box (under hood)
Has anyone ever bypassed the low beams, if so is there a better way then turning the fuse box over to get to it?

Blue Beast (aka Boydie) 06-14-2013 06:01 PM

Please explain..... "making my new headlights.......halo's for my DRL" I don't know what any of that means.

I'm out of touch with modern auto tech.

Boydie :cowboy:

Originally Posted by jczboy (Post 708912)
I'm in the middle of making my new headlights. And I started to wire some things up. I was thinking I might want, just the halo's for my DRL and not to the projectors. According to the wiring diagram after the DLR relay and through the fuse a PPL wire connects to the low beams. I'm assuming it's under the fuse box (under hood)
Has anyone ever bypassed the low beams, if so is there a better way then turning the fuse box over to get to it?

jczboy 06-14-2013 06:40 PM

I have some depo's that I have split. I'm retrofitting projectors and halo's, I want the halos (they are a circle light, like you might see on a BMW) for my Daytime running lights. just want to know if anyone has ever split the daytime running light away from the low beam. (I may be first)

donbrew 06-14-2013 07:40 PM

As I understand it, DRL is low power high beam. I may be wrong, but that should be easy to check. Anyway, DRL relay shunts to a resistor somewhere or some voltage reduction system. 2006 models use the running lights for DRL, you might try checking that out.

jczboy 06-14-2013 08:46 PM

According to the Mitchell wiring diagram. 2008 HHR SS
DRL relay, relays power to fuse, fuse feeds PPL wire that goes to power side of low beams.
No resistors or drop in power (Running voltage at fuse)

donbrew 06-14-2013 10:07 PM

Well somehow there is a power drop, they are not full power of that I am sure. You can tell the difference if you park near a wall. Maybe PPL is a resistor wire?

Check the 2006 wiring, may get a clue to running light circuit.

I am not involved enuff to search schematics yet. Maybe after another brewski.

jczboy 06-14-2013 10:20 PM

Thanks... I'll let you know what I find out

prod 06-15-2013 12:31 AM

Sounds like you could use an add-a-circuit for the drel fuse and run halos off it.

jczboy 06-15-2013 07:20 AM

Thanks Prod...
I will flip the fuse box first, and take a look and see