Mods - Exterior Discussion related to the looks of the exterior of the HHR.

Lower Billet Grille Problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2013, 07:18 PM

Lower Billet Grille Problem

Last year I got a black billet grille, manufactured by APS. It's a quality part, no issues there. The problem, which I suspected when I first put it on, has reared its ugly head: how it is mounted.

It has a pair of 4 or 5 inch machine screws in it which go into brackets that grip the trailing edge of the lower bumper opening. Lately though, I've noticed the entire piece hanging almost horizontally... it looks like Balerion is sticking his tongue out. I put it back on the first time I saw it like this, but today I took it off because I don't want it to fall completely out and cause any damage.

Has anyone else here with one of these worked out a better way to mount it?
Old 03-02-2013, 10:27 PM
Platinum Member

Blue LocTite
Old 03-03-2013, 12:20 AM

I suppose if the screws are unthreading themselves, that could explain how the brackets are dislodging themselves from the bumper. Although the screws don't actually thread through the brackets, they go into self-threading clips... not a lot of area for Loctite to work on. Also, the grille itself doesn't want to be in the correct position anymore, something has changed, but I can't see what that could be.
Old 03-03-2013, 11:10 AM

I also have the ABS billet grill. seems well made but IMO the mounting system sucks! The lower plastic bumper flexs IMO WAY too much for the bracket to stay on tight,as you can not really tighten it! The clips do not have much of a gripping surface,as mentioned for loc tite to grab on to,also use BLUE loc tite on parts that may be removed again. RED loc tite for a screw you will never remove. as you will not be able too.or have 1 heck of a time lol.Im going to Lowes and see if the have some flat stock and make my own brackets,the top mount will not be a issue,lower will be looking for a firm mounting surface.I will be using a nut and bolt system not that cheasy tin cilip..Also look for anti vibration nuts.they are nuts wit a nylon insert that grabs thecrew so it will not back out. I also added some black door trim to each of the ends of the grill so that hit the inside of the bumper and not the Hard Billet ends..
Old 03-03-2013, 04:17 PM

I haven't had that problem with my metal billet grille. It hooks up the same way but hasn't loosened up.
Boydie

Originally Posted by Dracos
Last year I got a black billet grille, manufactured by APS. It's a quality part, no issues there. The problem, which I suspected when I first put it on, has reared its ugly head: how it is mounted.

It has a pair of 4 or 5 inch machine screws in it which go into brackets that grip the trailing edge of the lower bumper opening. Lately though, I've noticed the entire piece hanging almost horizontally... it looks like Balerion is sticking his tongue out. I put it back on the first time I saw it like this, but today I took it off because I don't want it to fall completely out and cause any damage.

Has anyone else here with one of these worked out a better way to mount it?
Old 03-03-2013, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by Boydie
I haven't had that problem with my metal billet grille. It hooks up the same way but hasn't loosened up.
Boydie
How how tight did you make yours? If I tighten mine too much the lower grill folds in a bit? From what I saw on mine I think I will have the same issue as the OP
Old 03-04-2013, 08:04 PM

I don't remember the company's lower grill I bought years ago but I too had an issue with the hardware. I had contacted the seller and they claimed that is the mounting hardware. I ended up buying stainless nuts & bolts and then I mounted it to my mesh screen insert with the brackets the billet grill came with. It has stayed in place now for almost 3 1/2 years now. I can take a pic in the morning for you.

Mike
Old 03-04-2013, 09:48 PM

Have you looked at T-Rex grilles. Made in U.S.A.
I had one on my first HHR and had no problems at all.
Although I only had it on for 6 months or so and then Sold the Car.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:53 PM

I don't have mesh down there, but I'm interested to see what you did.

I'm thinking of getting some locking nuts to replace the self-threading clips, bending the angles in the brackets more toward square, and maybe putting a cross bar between the top of the brackets to keep them vertical.
Old 03-06-2013, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by Dracos
I don't have mesh down there, but I'm interested to see what you did.

I'm thinking of getting some locking nuts to replace the self-threading clips, bending the angles in the brackets more toward square, and maybe putting a cross bar between the top of the brackets to keep them vertical.
Please post what you do!@ I picked up a piece of aluminum flat stock and will make 2 brackets, Then use the anti vibration nuts, But I do love the look of the lower grill. The HHR should have come with one IMO it looks like it is missing one :)

Quick Reply: Lower Billet Grille Problem