Mods - Exterior Discussion related to the looks of the exterior of the HHR.

Lower Billet Grille Problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2013, 04:37 PM

I'd be interested in what you do as well - I got mine in and the thing just didn't want to work with me when I was installing. I definitely didn't feel great about putting it on the front of the car with the mounting hardware they provided - just didn't feel like it was worth the potential in damage it could cause if something went wrong.
Old 04-01-2013, 01:07 PM

I may have found a solution to this. Here is a picture of the inside of our front bumper, taken from against the passenger side end of the radiator:

There are a pair of vertical supports in the structural part of the bumper. They each have a hole in them, which I circled. These supports are the same distance from each other as the screw holes in the billet grille. It should be easy to fab up some brackets, with the added advantage of getting the grille to float in the lower opening. How fortuitous that my roommate bought a welder over the weekend.
Old 04-01-2013, 01:29 PM

Do these just attach to the bottom lip? My Carriage Works screws into the bottom, but had a bracket the runs to the top lip. going on 7 years, no issues.
Old 04-01-2013, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by solman98
Do these just attach to the bottom lip? My Carriage Works screws into the bottom, but had a bracket the runs to the top lip. going on 7 years, no issues.
I wouldn't characterize how these go on as "attach". The screws and the brackets hold the grille on by pressure applied inside the opening by the grille (whereby it scratches the paint) and by the brackets on the rearward edges of the opening. Basically a "press fit", but since the bumper plastic flexes, it's not very secure.

I'm still working out how to overcome the axis created by only having two screws in the grille.
Old 04-01-2013, 01:54 PM

Gotcha. Granted I wasn't thrilled at first drilling a hole in that lip at first (well, self tapping screw that is). But even if it's out, you can't see it afterwords unless your really looking for it. But back in 06, Carriage Works and one other company (can't remember now) was the only places you could get them.
Old 04-01-2013, 02:57 PM
Premium Member

haha i have this same issue from day one..finally got around to cleaning it this weekend real good since the weather was nice and noticed it was laying horizontally in the opening down below...how it was still there was beyond me. I was like whoa! this could have been shot out from underneath and ran over by me or someone else or worse hit a windshield! There has to be something better than some flimsy metal sticks holding this heavy billet grill in place whilst at highway speeds and bumps etc.

How do the Carriage Works and Trex grills attach? anyone have some pictures of the mounting hardware and grills in place??
Old 04-01-2013, 11:53 PM
Premium Member

This one works well.
Attached Images  
Old 04-01-2013, 11:56 PM

I had the lower billet too, I tightened it up as tight as I could without making the plastic flex. It still fell off and I lost it somewhere
Old 04-02-2013, 08:34 AM
Premium Member

ss fan..where is that actually...pic little bit further away? :p
Old 04-02-2013, 10:05 AM

I have the billet grille, manufactured by APS. I added locknuts to the screws and mine has stayed inplace. If the problem is from the brackets piviting then it seems to me that drilling a small hole at the top of each bracket and safety wiring them to the holes mentioned by Dracos should keep things in place.

Quick Reply: Lower Billet Grille Problem