Chevy HHR Network

Chevy HHR Network (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/)
-   Mods - Interior (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/mods-interior-54/)
-   -   Dome/cargo light resistor tap (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/mods-interior-54/dome-cargo-light-resistor-tap-47611/)

Dracos 08-22-2013 11:30 PM

Dome/cargo light resistor tap

A few weeks ago I ordered Plazma LEDs to replace in my dome/cargo bulbs. They're not supposed to need a resistor to prevent residual glow, but they do. So CarID sent me a 50w, 6 Ohm resistor kit. After finding a video on how this thing actually gets installed, I'm now wondering exactly where to put it. It needs to go on the hot side of the first of the three lights on the circuit (assuming these are wired in series) and to its own ground.

Fuse #27 in the interior block is labeled "interior lights" which tells me that it goes to more than just these three. I'm also not very keen on severing a factory wire to install the resistor. Plus, later I plan to put an add-a-fuse on #27 to power a set of under-dash LED strips. The CarID tech department said it can go behind the fuse block, but I'm almost certain I don't want to put it between fuse #27 and the first thing on that circuit.

I suspect that putting this resistor in is going to cause problems later, especially if it's not located in the best place... anyone know where that would be?

This is just for the central bulbs in the overhead fixtures, not the 4 individual map lights.

TEKNOnaut 08-23-2013 01:39 AM

Originally Posted by Dracos (Post 717575)
A few weeks ago I ordered Plazma LEDs to replace in my dome/cargo bulbs. They're not supposed to need a resistor to prevent residual glow, but they do. So CarID sent me a 50w, 6 Ohm resistor kit. After finding a video on how this thing actually gets installed, I'm now wondering exactly where to put it. It needs to go on the hot side of the first of the three lights on the circuit (assuming these are wired in series) and to its own ground.

Fuse #27 in the interior block is labeled "interior lights" which tells me that it goes to more than just these three. I'm also not very keen on severing a factory wire to install the resistor. Plus, later I plan to put an add-a-fuse on #27 to power a set of under-dash LED strips. The CarID tech department said it can go behind the fuse block, but I'm almost certain I don't want to put it between fuse #27 and the first thing on that circuit.

I suspect that putting this resistor in is going to cause problems later, especially if it's not located in the best place... anyone know where that would be?

This is just for the central bulbs in the overhead fixtures, not the 4 individual map lights.

Just return them and order from VLEDS.com
I had the same issue, but I ordered these and now I have no issues. And I didn't need to install resistors.

Dracos 08-23-2013 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by TEKNOnaut (Post 717586)
Just return them and order from VLEDS.com
I had the same issue, but I ordered these and now I have no issues. And I didn't need to install resistors.

The trick is, the LEDs I got are amber, which isn't a popular color.

TEKNOnaut 08-23-2013 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by Dracos (Post 717607)
The trick is, the LEDs I got are amber, which isn't a popular color.

yeah,that might be a problem :-/

donbrew 08-23-2013 08:55 PM

Put the resistor AT the light fixture?

Dracos 08-24-2013 01:14 AM

Originally Posted by donbrew (Post 717633)
Put the resistor AT the light fixture?

I'd need to put it before the first fixture, and that assumes that the three are wired in series. There's not much to ground to in the roof, it's pretty much just cloth and sheet metal up there as far as I've seen, but there might be something suitable for attaching a ground to nearby.

donbrew 08-24-2013 11:26 AM

There has to be a ground of some sort near the radio antenna? If I remember correctly that's where the wiring harness for the lights runs.

The lights are wired up to gradually dim after the door is closed, I wonder if that isn't by way of a resistor/capacitor. Maybe changing values at that point is the key.

I just remembered that my memory sucks. The headliner wiring is at the rear, making a good ground available down by the tail lights/battery.