Mods - Interior Discussion related to the looks of the interior of the HHR.

Interior light kits?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2012, 03:26 AM

Red face led strips... idea?

BTW: you need to secure the led strips... the heat in Ca. anyway will losen them and they will be hanging sooner or later at your knees.
I drilled a very small hole and zipped tied them into position under the dash and glove box area to light up the floor boards blue.
just my 2 cents...
jeff
Old 09-24-2012, 01:44 PM

Location: Kentucky - where men are MEN (and sheep are nervous)
Originally Posted by American & Proud
Go WATCH.> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVe0g...&feature=g-u-u

And Watch the INSTALL Link in it.
AS IF I could actually see what that installer was doing moving that fast ..... maybe we need Flash in on this one.....
Old 09-24-2012, 02:59 PM

Let me explain how i did mine. I cant really do much electrical so i bought a three way power outlet and plugged ito the rear power source. I ran all the wires through the center console and mounted the three way under the passenger seat. I bought blue led lights the plug into the 12v three way. They have a switch on the wires that i mounted on the console in between the driver seat and the center console.
So whenever i want the lights on i reach down and flip the switch. Sometimes the light bothers my eyes at night so i leave them off.

I know hardwiring is really the correct way to do it but this works great for me. I have two led blue strips in the front and two in the rear. Looks great.

Here two pics of the front lights at night. They are brighter than the pictures makes the seem. They light both floors and make the roof blue as well. No glare on the windows either.
Attached Images   
Old 09-01-2018, 01:07 PM

how did u setup the wiring

Originally Posted by Breadfan
Mine are wired to come on when the car is turned on and go out when the door is opened with the car off. If that is what you had in mind, I'll double check what fuse postion I used. IIRC, there was no fuse there before I used it.
how did u do the wiring for when the car starts and turn off when the door opens?
Old 09-01-2018, 02:50 PM
Technical Moderator

Any of the BCM fuse positions marked "SPARE" are controlled by the RetainedAccessoryPower relay. Or, the PWR WINDW or S ROOF fuses. Which is energized with key in ACC/RUN and retains power until the driver door is opened, maybe when any door.
Old 09-04-2018, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by donbrew
Any of the BCM fuse positions marked "SPARE" are controlled by the RetainedAccessoryPower relay. Or, the PWR WINDW or S ROOF fuses. Which is energized with key in ACC/RUN and retains power until the driver door is opened, maybe when any door.
Don. I think I remember back in 08, someone spliced into the "grey wire" for the drivers' side door switch behind the kick plate. That's the wiring hook up for the door open/closed switch that also does the fade in/fade out. I tried to find the post, but that was before server changes and wasn't able to find it. I know it was there because I printed it out back then. I'm at a loss to find that print out though.
Old 09-04-2018, 08:59 AM
Technical Moderator

The fade is handlde by GMlan. I was thinking splicing into the int light, but I don't know how LEDs would react to fading.

Looks like the easiest place to splice the gray wire is at the dimmer switch. It goes to ground. The circuit confuses me.

Old 09-05-2018, 12:58 AM

lights off and on

Originally Posted by donbrew
i would like to have the led kit to turn off and on with the dome lights.
Old 08-20-2019, 10:12 PM

I'm working on this right now.^ I'm taping into the dome wiring going to the rearview mirror. On my 2007 the wiring is glued down to the head board on the drivers side. You patch into the gray and blue W/white stripe. Unfortunately there are two sets of wires in the bundle that color . The other goes to the white led in the middle of the front part of the headliner. The car is still new to me so I don't know if they are on the same circuit or not. I'm sending a wire down the driver pillar. I have the same led kit mentioned earlier in an earlier post. I'm not getting power to the module. I figured I'll cut it out and wire the lights directly to dome.
Old 08-20-2019, 10:30 PM
Technical Moderator

Have you noticed that those lights dim out? Not many LEDs are capable of dimming. Here are a couple of tuts that may help.

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/how-...-2008-a-22174/

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/how-...ighting-48491/

If you are trying to use the instrument panel illumination circuit Any of the gray wires will work. You can get that from several different locations near the BCM.

That is connector C3 pin numbers are next to the wire color.

Quick Reply: Interior light kits?