Chevy HHR Network

Chevy HHR Network (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/)
-   Mods - Interior (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/mods-interior-54/)
-   -   Led dome lights glow after car is off (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/mods-interior-54/led-dome-lights-glow-after-car-off-44311/)

bubbacharles 01-15-2013 07:11 PM

Dome Light Led Glow

Hello, I just got some leds for my dome lights and when the car is off there is still a glow to them, I heard to use a resistor on the light switch on the dash. Anyone have an idea on how to get the glow to stop?

chefhhr 01-15-2013 08:10 PM

Mine glows too...haven't had any troubles and I've been running them for six months.

bubbacharles 01-15-2013 08:15 PM

I know it won't cause any problems, just kinda bug me at night.

bubbacharles 01-15-2013 10:04 PM

Can someone help me out here?

bubbacharles 01-15-2013 10:11 PM

Led dome lights glow after car is off

I got led dome lights today and they look great other then when I lights are off there is still a glow. Is there a way to get these to turn off all the way? I heard I could use a resistorif anyone knows a way let me know. Thanks

skyline26 01-15-2013 10:13 PM

lol why did you make another post?

bubbacharles 01-15-2013 10:16 PM

I thought I post it in the wrong area

skyline26 01-15-2013 10:20 PM

mods will move it if they think its in the wrong spot

bubbacharles 01-15-2013 10:21 PM

Alright, thanks.

skyline26 01-15-2013 10:21 PM

not sure the resistors would help for that anyways..but i could be wrong, for some reason all my LED's that i have put in required no resistors and dont "glow" or anything weird like that

bubbacharles 01-17-2013 09:10 PM

The resistor worked out great, no more glow when dome lights are off.

jerSSey HHR 01-19-2013 08:27 PM

I replaced my travel trailer dome lights with LEDs and I get no glow.

jeff schaffer 01-23-2013 03:49 AM

Mine fade down with the dome light...
there set up w/ the doors open the door leds on, close door
leds fade down and go off.
jeff

whitelightnin 02-09-2013 09:39 AM

Mine won't go completely off either

ufvj217 02-11-2013 09:16 AM

You need a resistor wired in

ChevyMgr 02-11-2013 02:40 PM

merged two threads on the same subject.

Laez 05-01-2013 02:45 AM

My LED interior lights are glow while I'm driving and when the car is off. How do I go about installing a resistor so this won't happen?

TEKNOnaut 08-05-2013 09:12 PM

Did anyone ever make a post on how to install a resistor for the dome light LED issue?

Dracos 08-06-2013 05:23 AM

CANBUS compliant LEDs shouldn't do this, as they have resistors built in (I'll find out for sure in few days when mine arrive).

I did read that the current causing the glow comes from the dimmer switch in the waterfall. It's not enough to power indandescent bulbs, but any residual current will make LEDs glow very dim.

Dracos 08-13-2013 12:16 AM

Today I got my dome lights that I ordered from our forum sponsor, PL175CA.

They are quite fussy about how they're plugged in, I didn't get any of them to work until after 2+ tries each and talking to their customer service live chat. Then they all worked. Later when I was taking them out in the dark (read on for why), the front one flickered as the dome lens fell out of the bezel. Weird.

I put them in just before dusk. At that time, they seemed to fade all the way off. Three hours later in the full dark, I went to check again. Sure enough, all three stayed lit at somewhere less than 5%, even while driving. So I pulled them out, in the dark. Interestingly, after I swapped one stock bulb back in, the two remaining LEDs faded all the way off like I expected they should in the first place.

So now I'm also looking for where/how to put the resistor.

TEKNOnaut 08-13-2013 02:17 AM

Originally Posted by Dracos (Post 716187)
Today I got my dome lights that I ordered from our forum sponsor, PL175CA.

They are quite fussy about how they're plugged in, I didn't get any of them to work until after 2+ tries each and talking to their customer service live chat. Then they all worked. Later when I was taking them out in the dark (read on for why), the front one flickered as the dome lens fell out of the bezel. Weird.

I put them in just before dusk. At that time, they seemed to fade all the way off. Three hours later in the full dark, I went to check again. Sure enough, all three stayed lit at somewhere less than 5%, even while driving. So I pulled them out, in the dark. Interestingly, after I swapped one stock bulb back in, the two remaining LEDs faded all the way off like I expected they should in the first place.

So now I'm also looking for where/how to put the resistor.

LAME!! I was really hoping they would work. I spoke to a customer support person for VLEDs and they told me their higher power bulbs (which I was originally interested in but they were sold out at the time and still are) will require enough power that the small amount of power running through will not be enough to light them even the slightest when they're supposed to be off. So I guess we shall see. He assured me I wouldn't have the issue with them... so I'm gonna send back 3 from the first order and buy the new more powerful ones as soon as they become available. When everything is said and done I'll let everyone know what my results are. Hopefully this will be a resistorless fix. lol

Dracos 08-13-2013 02:55 PM

Got off the phone with CarID's tech department a little while ago. They are sending me one of these resistors (50W, 6ohm) at no charge. He said to install it on the positive side of the dome light circuit in the interior fuse block.

TEKNOnaut 08-13-2013 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by Dracos (Post 716249)
Got off the phone with CarID's tech department a little while ago. They are sending me one of these resistors (50W, 6ohm) at no charge. He said to install it on the positive side of the dome light circuit in the interior fuse block.

I'm still hoping the bulbs I order fix the issue. I just don't feel like adding a resistor lol

TEKNOnaut 08-17-2013 04:19 AM

Just ordered the new bulbs... hopefully it'll resolve the issue. Will keep everyone posted.

Dracos 08-17-2013 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by TEKNOnaut (Post 716843)
Just ordered the new bulbs... hopefully it'll resolve the issue. Will keep everyone posted.

Tekno, which bulbs did you originally get, and which replacements?

TEKNOnaut 08-17-2013 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by Dracos (Post 716877)
Tekno, which bulbs did you originally get, and which replacements?

Original

Replacements

I talked to their customer support and they assured me I wouldn't have the problem with these. They said they require significantly more power than the first ones I bought and therefore the little amount of current that goes through on the ceiling wiring should not light them up.

I guess we'll see.

donbrew 08-17-2013 05:34 PM

OK, Dr. Ohm. here goes again. LEDs are not driven by voltage like an Edison bulb, thus you will be hard put to find a bare AC LED. And since they are diodes they have a tendency to "latch". They are a switch that happens to emit light, under the proper (to them) condition they switch "on".

TEKNOnaut 08-21-2013 07:45 PM

New LEDs fixed the issue. Bright as hell and turn completely off!

Dracos 08-28-2013 11:19 PM

I'm RMA-ing these Plazma LEDs. There's just no place I feel like putting a resistor, which I wanted to avoid in the first place. If anyone finds any orange (600-620nm, redder than amber) 578 festoon replacement LEDs with resistors and 80+ lumens, let me know. Orange isn't the most popular color, but I'll keep looking.