Mods - Interior Discussion related to the looks of the interior of the HHR.

Panel removal?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2008, 04:36 PM
ecl

Panel removal?

This question mainly concerns any one that owns a panel or AA5 but any one that knows please chime in. Im wondering how to remove the panel in the rear where the window should be. Looking at it doesnt seem to just pop out like most but I could be wrong. I have an AA5 and looking to do some custom work so need to figure out how to remove that panel.
This is the panel im talking about
Name:  PICT1059.jpg
Views: 3549
Size:  60.3 KB
Old 10-26-2008, 06:30 PM

Location: Fresno, California (formerly of Modesto, Ca. -- hometown of George Lucas, formerly of Winnipeg, Mb.)
Wondering, are you planning on puting it back in or putting something else in its place?
Old 10-26-2008, 06:43 PM
ecl

It depends on how things work out. Im going to be building a sub box and mounting it there and then an amp rack on the other side and I just want to get back there and see what I have to work with.
Old 10-26-2008, 09:40 PM

I'm thinking you will need to take off all the surrounding panels to remove it. I BIG pain.
Old 10-26-2008, 09:42 PM

i have a aa5, and dont know how you would start to remove it.

i would think a BIG PITA!!

but what kinda system do you wanna do??
i would think with all the systems people have done
you could figure out a way to not remove the whole panel
Old 10-27-2008, 10:23 PM
ecl

well I dont really need to remove the panel to do the work really just trying to see how I would mount it and run wires. Ive seen the other installs but looking to do something different and retain all cargo area and spare, with out worring about damaging the system.
Old 10-27-2008, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by ecl
well I dont really need to remove the panel to do the work really just trying to see how I would mount it and run wires. Ive seen the other installs but looking to do something different and retain all cargo area and spare, with out worring about damaging the system.
ya i want a system and to keep my space back there. i work out of my hhr and having a sub box n the trunk area would kill my storage for work. if and when u do a install, take pics and post. im interested
Old 12-26-2009, 05:23 AM

Has anyone removed this interior panel? What is the correct procedure? Need to acesss the area behind the panel for paintless dent removal.
Old 12-26-2009, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by Temple of Zoom
Has anyone removed this interior panel? What is the correct procedure? Need to acesss the area behind the panel for paintless dent removal.
If your hoping to remove only the section that covers the "window area" then you're out of luck. It looks like an insert, but it's part of the upper rear quarter panel.

To remove the entire upper rear panel first remove the plastic cap and screw on the top front near the c-pillar. Next remove the cargo hook.

All other fasteners are the metal clips which pop/pry out. There are 2 clips to the front of the panel, 3 clips to the back, and 2 clips to the bottom on my panel. (see pictures at https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/picture.php?albumid=107)

There are also a series of "alignment pins". There are 2 small pressure clips and a single plastic pin to align the front of the upper panel to the lower panel. These aren't difficult during disassembly, but there tricky when reassembling things.

Finally, there are three tabs on the lower edge of the upper panel that fit behind the lower panel at the top edge. The idea is that you insert these tabs to the lower panel first then tilt the upper panel toward the body inserting fasteners as you go. In principle it's pretty simple.

When removing the panel the manual simply says "Pull the trim panel toward the inside of the vehicle to disengage the retainers."

I've included some photos in my users area of the backside of the panels on my 2008 Panel. I also included a screen shot of the exploded diagram but it is the non-panel diagram.

Hope this helps.
Old 12-29-2009, 04:33 AM

Thanks rubics cube, your description and insight helped a lot. I was able to remove the upper panel with no problems but when I did the small part that separates the upper panel from the lower panel on the C pillar dropped down behind the lower panel. I could still see it and tried to "fish" it out but when attempting to do so it fell all the way to the floor. So..... I had to remove almost everything to retrieve it including the entire cargo floor and even unbolt and move the metal platform that replaces the rear seat in a panel.

Although a real pain I got it back together as good as new. On an interesting side note I could not believe the debris under the cargo floor. Lots of blue painter's type tape??? and lots of plastic shavings??? Amazing what the factory just seems to leave inside the car.

Quick Reply: Panel removal?