Chevy HHR Network

Chevy HHR Network (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/)
-   Mods - Interior (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/mods-interior-54/)
-   -   Shift knob replacement? Anyone done it yet? (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/mods-interior-54/shift-knob-replacement-anyone-done-yet-6201/)

Skullz 01-04-2007 10:51 AM

Shift knob replacement? Anyone done it yet?

Just curious if anyone has replaced the stock shift knob on their 5 speed? How the heck do you get the stock knob off? Any help is appreciated, thanks!:D

SindyDix 01-04-2007 10:57 AM

There are a couple of members that have done this. You can try using the search button at the top of the page or wait until someone chimes in with their advice!

Welcome to our Forum! I see your in Southern California, I go to the SD area quite often, perhaps I'll see you around!

courthousedeb 01-04-2007 11:00 AM

Booted a post up for ya. :thumb:

SICKS.OH 01-04-2007 11:03 AM

know of anyone doing it to an auto?

would love a shorter one, i keep hitting my coffee on it.

Skullz 01-04-2007 11:09 AM

thanks, just let me know when you are in the area and we can hook up. I just bought my HHR last week, I'll be posting some pics soon. Nice meeting you, and thanks for the tips.

crowbar 01-04-2007 01:18 PM

i cant remember for sure but i think its some plastic clips holding it around where the boot meets the knob (been a while since i did mine), its prolly gonna be hard to get a aftermarket knob to work since there are no threads on the stock shifter,

just put a short throw up there youll love it

JimZ_HHR 01-04-2007 03:09 PM

Welcome

:welcome: I'm here in San Diego also.... again welcome to the site!!

ivtech 01-04-2007 11:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
As Crowbar said your twist the top of the shift boot to release it from the knob. At the bottom of the knob are 4 white tabs pull up on the tabs to release the knob and pull the knob off.
The lever is 12mm. I put a Hurst T-handle on with M12x1.75 thread same as the Mustang.
Attachment 42564
after utting the lever down 1 1/2 inches.

longhorn 01-20-2007 12:12 PM

I have the shift knob replaced, but the boot now hangs down :(

ivtech 01-20-2007 10:48 PM

Try an O-ring on the lever.

Skullz 01-23-2007 08:50 AM

Like Charles said, "O" ring will do the trick. I had the same issue initially. Good luck.

-md- HHR 01-23-2007 09:30 AM

I made a eight ball knob, and just counter bored the hole to the diameter of the top of the shift boot. Look great IMO.

brdstruebel 03-13-2007 04:20 AM

I had the same problem on my 06 cobalt LT 5 speed. If it dont unscrew i would be carful cause gm's warrent dont cover much if u kill it trust me, i found out when i ripped the whole stick out of the box wit the linkage. 950$ to fix! How is the 5 speed, i wanted it and my wife didnt, i miss my 5speed cobalt, The hhr has the same motor and trans. just courious if it is a lil more sportier. Good Luck.

Skullz 03-22-2007 04:33 PM

It's nice, pretty peppy, I prefer it over the AUTO. So it definately seems sportier.

sleeper 08-24-2009 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by Skullz (Post 131364)
It's nice, pretty peppy, I prefer it over the AUTO. So it definately seems sportier.

You must still be young ....:lol:

trimotor 09-08-2009 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by -md- HHR (Post 115328)
I made a eight ball knob, and just counter bored the hole to the diameter of the top of the shift boot. Look great IMO.

Shouldn't that really be a 4 ball? I mean, historically the number on a billiard ball shift knob is supposed to reflect the number of cylinders ;)

sleeper 09-08-2009 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by trimotor (Post 410485)
Shouldn't that really be a 4 ball? I mean, historically the number on a billiard ball shift knob is supposed to reflect the number of cylinders ;)

Possibly, but I have used Cue-balls when I got a new stick shift ride...Kinda like the start of a new beginning or game... And on my previous S-10s' I used JB Weld to secure the knobs...Never let go..........

And my Flathead 45" Harley only has 2 cylinders, but 3 speeds forward & reverse.. I have a 13 ball on that shifter......:lol:

Now I wanted the auto tranny in my Panel, but I haven't modified that shifter just (yet)..

trimotor 09-09-2009 01:23 AM

Well, I did have an old Ford that I had to put a cut tennis ball over the stock shift knob to keep from burning my hand when the car had been sitting in the sun all day. The ball stayed put and never even wiggled around on the shift knob. So unique modifications aren't foreign to me.

I think the last car I had with a pool ball for a shift knob was an old Audi Coupe GT that i had for about two weeks. It's former owner had put a 5 ball on in place of the stock shift knob. The car did have an inline 5 cylinder though, so that fits I suppose. Still it did look kind of funny seeing that bright orange pool ball amid the painfully tasteful gray Audi interior.

sleeper 09-09-2009 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by trimotor (Post 410694)
Well, I did have an old Ford that I had to put a cut tennis ball over the stock shift knob to keep from burning my hand when the car had been sitting in the sun all day. The ball stayed put and never even wiggled around on the shift knob. So unique modifications aren't foreign to me.

I think the last car I had with a pool ball for a shift knob was an old Audi Coupe GT that i had for about two weeks. It's former owner had put a 5 ball on in place of the stock shift knob. The car did have an inline 5 cylinder though, so that fits I suppose. Still it did look kind of funny seeing that bright orange pool ball amid the painfully tasteful gray Audi interior.

Wow tennis ball 'knob cooler'... I like it !!!

No, I guess you're not a stranger to unique mods, & etc,...

Anyone can just buy something, (long as you have $$$) but I really admire the creativity to make something cool & unusual..

I remember using old Cut-Crystal glass door knobs for hand shifters on my older Harley...(still have a couple of those (circa) 1900s'

But I still do also collect unique shift knobs..

-md- HHR 09-15-2009 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by trimotor (Post 410485)

yeah, I guess 4 would fit it better. It was easy to find a cheap 8 ball.

IgottaWoody 09-15-2009 09:34 PM

Nobody ever used an old beer tap handle...go rat fink?