Picture & Media Showoff your Chevy HHR and you may be the next Featured Car!

1955 Chevrolet Restoration-Pics

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 02:12 PM
Rest In Peace

1955 Chevrolet Restoration Progress Pics

1955 Chevrolet Bel Air 2 Door Hardtop.
Gypsy Red/Shoreline Beige
73,000 Original Miles.

Bought this '55 back in High School at the end of Jr. year. (17)
My Dad and I did a much needed Restoration on it over the next year, and had it road ready at the End of my Sr. year.

Dad and I replaced alot of the Chrome, Polished up all the Stainless Steel pieces, I bought the reproduction seats pre sewn and we installed them, we stipped the car and did the body work and put 2 used front fenders on it. And did a complete Nitrocellulose Lacquer Paint job.
My Dad would Lend me the money to buy a Part, then with my next paycheck I'd have to pay him back, if it was an expensive part he would let me pay him back in a few paychecks so I'd still have cash for the week.

As soon as I payed that part off, he lend me the money to get the next part needed and so on... (I Miss my Dad.)

I parked it during the Winters and would buy a BEATER just to get by and get rid of it once Spring came around.

I have Loved this particular '55 Chevy since I was in the 3rd-4th grade or so, As I walked to grade school, I would see it parked at the local small town realestate office, A woman drove it there every day even in the Winters.

I even stopped in that office as a little kid and asked who owned it and then asked her if she would wanted to sell it. At that age I think I had all of $5.00.

She was kind enough to say sorry it wasnt for sale.

Fast Forward to me now being 17 years old, I am at our corner gas stations parking lot (owner knew my Dad well and allowed me to park my Beaters there overnights) I am changing a flat tire on a beater 1968 green 4 door Chevy Bel Air. And who drives by? The Woman in her 1955 Chevrolet Bel Air.

I YELL out as she's driving by, "HEY YOU WANT TO SELL THAT CHEVY YET?!!!"

The light changes to Green as she's pulling up and she just drives on through. Oh well I thought and continued to change my flat tire.

A couple minutes later she pulls into the gas station lot and pulls along side of me, and says was that you yelling if I wanted to sell? I said yes it was, she said well as a matter of fact, my husband was thinking of selling it.

I took down her phone number and called later that evening when he was home from work, and I bought it that evening. Took several Years, but I GOT it.
Her husband had 12 or so other 1955-1957 Chevys when I pulled up to their house, he was a Collector/Restorer and this one was just used as his wifes daily driver, it was Not in good shape body and paint wise when I bought it.
But it was in Good shape mechanically and had Low miles on it.

Still has LOW miles on it.

I drove it daily for about 5 years, I only worked about 5 minutes from the house at a local bodyshop. (I think seeing the restored '55 got me the job actually) The Owner liked the attention it got sitting parked all day on the front lot. I worked their for 6 years.

I had started a second restoration but got Married and started having Kids, so that one never got completed and the car sat for several years.

This Full Complete Restoration is a Complete Off the Frame Full Blown
Restoration. Fenders, Doors, Quarter Panels, Complete Floor Boards, All the cross braces underneath have been replaced, the works.

I finally remembered to bring my camera as the '55 is parked in my Parents garage, so heres a couple of it in progress.

Name:  60b3a585.jpg
Views: 312
Size:  100.6 KB

Name:  97a68ec0.jpg
Views: 287
Size:  53.3 KB

Name:  3d32d706.jpg
Views: 271
Size:  47.9 KB

Name:  f00be2d5.jpg
Views: 233
Size:  28.6 KB

Name:  e5f5e9d4.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  61.6 KB

Name:  f0e3f5a4.jpg
Views: 235
Size:  68.1 KB

Books on Trunk that shows how Every nut and bolt and or part, and options goes on.

Over 150 holes must be redrilled since all the body panels have been replaced. For all the Chrome and Stainless Steel Trim.
Name:  7178669e.jpg
Views: 231
Size:  37.6 KB

Name:  6cfb07d9.jpg
Views: 262
Size:  40.6 KB

This is a Long Term Project as Every nut and bolt is being replaced and or refurished to Exact Factory Standards. A Complete Restored Original it will be classified as.

Just thought I would show my Other Chevrolet LOVE.

Thanks for lookin.

Name:  02a650fc.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  27.7 KB

Old 06-06-2011, 02:16 PM
Deceased

Utterly sweet A & P, nothing like a Tri-5 to make a Chevy guy smile and go weak in the knees!
Old 06-06-2011, 02:23 PM
Rest In Peace

Thanks, now at 50, I still go weak in the knees.

I took this car to 3 Proms, my own, then after I graduated I was asked to 2 others, they were Very Cute girls, so I could not refuse them.

The HHR Panel has kinda sidelined this for the last year now, but I will be done with Most of my Panel Projects soon, and work will continue on the '55.

Old 06-06-2011, 02:33 PM

Hey, A&P, absolutely awesome story!!

The '55 Chevy is one of the BEST classics!

I came back to ask you to put the story into perspective in time, not originally wanting you to admit your advanced age, but now that you admit you're "only" 50, the question is answered!

Great project and keep updates coming!!

BTW, your heat exchanger pump looks familiar!
Old 06-06-2011, 02:43 PM
Rest In Peace

Originally Posted by JoeR
Hey, A&P, absolutely awesome story!!

The '55 Chevy is one of the BEST classics!

I came back to ask you to put the story into perspective in time, not originally wanting you to admit your advanced age, but now that you admit you're "only" 50, the question is answered!

Great project and keep updates coming!!

BTW, your heat exchanger pump looks familiar!

Thanks, actually I am STILL 49, ok for another week or so. LOL

High School was in the mid/late 70's for me, Graduated 78-79, that better for a Timeline?

Pump - It should, You sold it to me!

My Panel has been the Only car that has lit my Fire since getting the '55.
But with the '55 in progress and not to far from being completed actually, I have been in a RUSH to get my Panel the way I want it, but that's Almost Completed and I will get back on the '55 soon.

Old 06-06-2011, 02:49 PM

Looks great! Those '55's are my favorite cars!
Old 06-06-2011, 02:58 PM
Rest In Peace

Originally Posted by urbexHHR
Looks great! Those '55's are my favorite cars!

Thanks, it has been My Favorite for ALOT of years now!

I gotta get my scanner hooked up, old pics from when I bought it show just how Bad the body and paint was. (Kids in School Laughed when I first bought it and drove it to School. (end of Jr. year)

Then at the end of my Sr. Year after it was finished the first time, No one believed it was the SAME car. No one laughed then.

Then I have a pic of it Done, and me standing next to it in my Black Tux with Tails on my way to go pick up my Prom Date.

Old 06-06-2011, 03:22 PM

Just to remind folks....

The '55 Chevy was the first to have the legendary "small block"!

A whopping 265 c.i., if I recall correctly. Long history for performance engines, although the newer LSx series have very little in relation to them.
Old 06-06-2011, 03:26 PM

Kudos, A&P...... I would have gotten the itch to hot rod that long ago......

@ JoeR..... don't remind people that are older than A&P. I'm not senile yet.
Old 06-06-2011, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by Greybeard999
@ JoeR..... don't remind people that are older than A&P. I'm not senile yet.
HA!! A&P is young enough to be my son, although I swear, I never met his mother!

Quick Reply: 1955 Chevrolet Restoration-Pics