Picture & Media Showoff your Chevy HHR and you may be the next Featured Car!

Slide_Rite's HHR - Pics, Mods & More!

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 02:05 AM

Slide_Rite's HHR - Pics, Mods & More!

So here is my HHR about a week after purchase. Somewhat clean...

Name:  auto20120317-095057.jpg
Views: 670
Size:  225.4 KB

Name:  p20120322-235314.jpg
Views: 591
Size:  151.7 KB

...and my favorite pic (so far) from my first vacation in the HHR!

Name:  p20120313-214051.jpg
Views: 510
Size:  234.2 KB

...currently working on a few minor mods to her. 3 bar grill mod, painting bowties & mirror caps, and removing the chrome hubcaps to rock the black star steelies. Should have more pics up soon.
Old 04-11-2012, 07:34 AM
Deceased

Really diggin' that third shot, nice job and a sharp HHR!
Old 04-11-2012, 08:25 AM

Nice pics and Nice hhr
was the last pic in AZ?
3 bar grilles look awesome on the HHR's in my opinion.
I like the chrome over the Black rims myself but that is just me.
Black tire Black rim on big round black thing Just dont get it.
Old 04-11-2012, 11:35 AM

Thanks guys, I appreciate it.

That third pic was taken just outside of Salida, CO. We were on our way back from Black Canyon. I love this shot, and was super stoked there was a scenic overlook to pull off at. Got out to look into the mountain valley below, looked back at the HHR and realized the great shot waiting to be captured!

I have a final plan for the 3 bar, mirror caps, and rear beauty bar...trying to give them a unique aged look. Since I am not a fan of chrome, I was happy to learn the "wheels" are hubcaps, and now I don't have to wait for rims to get rid of them!
Old 04-13-2012, 12:36 AM

Talking Patiently waiting, impatiently...

Wish the forecast was clear. Possibility of rain and the current high humidity have my projects at a stand still.

So...I'll just post my progress so far.

My clean, but surely doomed stocker.
Name:  auto20120407-103548.jpg
Views: 478
Size:  164.5 KB

Popped that bad boy off with an old plastic card.
Name:  p20120411-111052.jpg
Views: 472
Size:  134.0 KB

Found out how much it sucks to have a battery powered dremel tool when I had to cut & finish the sides of the grill.
Name:  p20120411-111239.jpg
Views: 459
Size:  129.0 KB

But it all worked out...decided to cut the sides flat & even. It was easier and IMO looks better than the rounded edges.
Sorry for the bad pic...forgot to take one in natural light. Name:  auto20120409-012518-1.jpg
Views: 500
Size:  220.8 KB

Also decided to use some of the scrap to make an emblem top. It isn't perfect, but she ain't no beauty queen, so it'll do. Just couldn't leave the top open and exposed...lol.
Name:  auto20120408-101453.jpg
Views: 495
Size:  148.8 KB

This was pre-sanding.
Name:  auto20120408-101534.jpg
Views: 491
Size:  133.6 KB

Finally got to lay down some primer...can't wait to get to the copper on this. Might throw it back on the truck for a few shots to see how it looks before the next step.
Name:  auto20120412-075121.jpg
Views: 478
Size:  161.7 KB
Old 04-13-2012, 04:00 AM

I like that way you trimmed the sides on your 3 bar. I might have to trim mine like that. I too accidently cut the top off my bowtie mount as well. I have not filled it back in yet. I was using my trim router so I could make short work of it. While it shaved time off the whole task I messed up when I hit that top part but oh well. I did learn from my mistake and made sure to cut farther away from the bottom of the bowtie mount and then trim up to it with my angle grinder. I do have a dremel but did not want to have to wait for battery to recharge.
Old 04-13-2012, 07:05 AM

I just don't think I want to tackle this project. The 3 bar grill looks tons better than that factory but I'd hate to screw something up. I guess if I did I could just buy a billet grill or something.
Old 04-13-2012, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by 07azhhr
I like that way you trimmed the sides on your 3 bar. I too accidently cut the top off my bowtie mount as well. I do have a dremel but did not want to have to wait for battery to recharge.
Thanks, I just wasn't feeling the rounded edges after I cut one side. Thought the straight cuts flow much more naturally and give a wider look to it. As for the emblem, it's pretty much impossible to remove the bar above the emblem and not leave an opening. There is a void back there where the emblem and bar above it run together, so there is literally no top of the emblem. Luckily, there is a bottom so that was a breeze...lol! It took me longer than I expected, but waiting for the dremel tool to charge was my time waster...guess it gave me time to carefully plan before executing though.

Originally Posted by chefhhr
I just don't think I want to tackle this project. The 3 bar grill looks tons better than that factory but I'd hate to screw something up. I guess if I did I could just buy a billet grill or something.
It's really not difficult at all, just be patient with a steady hand and plan of attack! Mark your cut lines on the back with a sharpie or something and just go slow until you start feeling comfortable handling the grill and cutting away the unnecessary. Be sure to cut below or inside your cut lines and then carefully shave away the rest until you get it how you want it. I used a red sharpie to mark the back and put masking tape over the parts I didn't want to cut or scratch in case the cutting wheel or mini hacksaw slipped. And like you said...if you mess it up you could always buy billet!
Old 04-13-2012, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by Slide_Rite
Thanks, I just wasn't feeling the rounded edges after I cut one side. Thought the straight cuts flow much more naturally and give a wider look to it. As for the emblem, it's pretty much impossible to remove the bar above the emblem and not leave an opening. There is a void back there where the emblem and bar above it run together, so there is literally no top of the emblem. Luckily, there is a bottom so that was a breeze...lol! It took me longer than I expected, but waiting for the dremel tool to charge was my time waster...guess it gave me time to carefully plan before executing though.

It's really not difficult at all, just be patient with a steady hand and plan of attack! Mark your cut lines on the back with a sharpie or something and just go slow until you start feeling comfortable handling the grill and cutting away the unnecessary. Be sure to cut below or inside your cut lines and then carefully shave away the rest until you get it how you want it. I used a red sharpie to mark the back and put masking tape over the parts I didn't want to cut or scratch in case the cutting wheel or mini hacksaw slipped. And like you said...if you mess it up you could always buy billet!
I've been pondering on this all morning and I'm going to give it a go. I'm going to stop and get me a cutting wheel for my dremmel and some sand paper. Are you guys using gutter guard for the mesh? How did you attach the mesh?
Old 04-13-2012, 11:49 AM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by chefhhr
I've been pondering on this all morning and I'm going to give it a go. I'm going to stop and get me a cutting wheel for my dremmel and some sand paper. Are you guys using gutter guard for the mesh? How did you attach the mesh?
Yep, gutter guard is what I got for mine. Got some metal snips to trim it easily for around $8 @ home depot. Careful though, it's sharp as sin after cutting...had to wear my mechanics gloves while handling to try and clean it up a bit around the edges.

My plan for attaching the mesh is to use Permatex Ultra Black RTV Sealer/Gasket maker. That stuff is waterproof, high temp, and is almost as strong holding as the black sealer used to hold headlights together, so I am hoping a nice bead of it all the way around the outside of the mesh will do the trick. I have already formed the mesh to the backside of the openings so it fits to it like a glove.

I'll get some more pics up tonight, including this new glue I found & used. It is thick like toothpaste, holds on contact, is water soluble prior to curing, and in my experience doubled almost like a putty...allowing me to fill in areas to sand smooth after drying. I used it to fill in the spots where I removed the verticle tabs from the bars.

Now I wish I wasn't @ work...I want to work on the ride!

Good luck with your grill!!

Quick Reply: Slide_Rite's HHR - Pics, Mods & More!