Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Radio loses station memory

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 10:09 AM

Question Radio loses station memory

Hi, I have a 2006 LT and recently have had a problem with the radio not always holding station memory. It seems to only happen after the car has sat for a couple of days. My battery is only 1 year old so I have ruled it out as the culprit. Has anyone else had a similar problem or is there anyone that can help with a possible cause. Thank you in advance for your time and reply.
Kind Regards,
Chuck
San Mateo, Calif.,
Old 02-18-2012, 10:16 AM
Founding Member

You have a battery or battery cable issue.
Old 02-20-2012, 04:38 PM

Question radio stations lose memory

Thank you ChevyMgr, I checked the battery cable connections and they are tight and clean, my battery is only 1 year old. Memory is only lost when car sits for a few days and when I first turn on the iginition before starting the engine the station is correct, it is only when I actually start the car that it changes stations. Strange thing is it always goes to FM 102.1 ??? Clock is not affected. Is there anything else you might think of that might be causing this? Any help or suggestions are very much appreciated.
Kind Regrads,
Chuck
P.S. anyone else on the forum have any ideas??? Thank you!
Old 02-20-2012, 06:34 PM

Lets see if I understand you correctly; you turn the ignition on, but do not turn the key to the point the engine cranks. At this point the radio is still set at the last station you used several days prior. I will presume all your saved memory selections are showing on the radio at this point as well.

You then attempt to start the engine by turning the key to “crank”. During this “cranking” the radio display goes dead – this is normal. When the engine starts, you release the key and the radio comes back to life, but “switched” away from your previous selection and is now on 102.1. Clarify if all your previously saved memory selections are now gone, please.

If so I believe you have a radio problem in possible combination with a low battery condition. I say this because 12VDC power is always supplied to the radio from the BCM through the “Radio Fuse #23. All of which is powered at all times and is not disconnected by the “Cranking” position of the ignition switch; at least according to my 2009 FSM. The radio is turned off by a digital signal sent from the BCM to the radio during cranking, but not the 12VDC power to the radio.

Now, a new one-year-old battery should also not be considered good for troubleshooting purposes – you should check it with a DVM during cranking.

This is only by belief, but a connection problem between the battery and the radio would show itself during regular driving with other strange problems occurring. Such as the clock resetting. For example when I remove the fuse from my radio I loose the clock only – the memory presets stay in memory. You say you do not loose the clock – thus the power to the radio is good. Of course all the above maybe for naught as our vehicles are a few years apart and there may have been some changes.

If all the above is true, a visit to the dealer will be needed.
Old 02-20-2012, 08:33 PM

Could there be an internal battery to the radio like a 2032 or 2025 lithium type soldered to the circuit board like in a computer or the time clocks I rebuild and it has just crapped out early? When you start the vehicle isn't there a momentary lapse of power to most of the vehicle at that exact moment of cranking then restored again a split second later to the rest of the vehicle?
Old 02-21-2012, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by BlackknighT
Could there be an internal battery to the radio like a 2032 or 2025 lithium type soldered to the circuit board like in a computer ...
It has been awhile, but I do not recall any battery in my unit. However, these are different years and radios.
A quick review of the pictures I took at the time of my work shows no battery.

Originally Posted by BlackknighT
When you start the vehicle isn't there a momentary lapse of power to most of the vehicle at that exact moment of cranking then restored again a split second later to the rest of the vehicle?
The Radio never has power removed from it see post#4.
Old 02-24-2012, 12:19 PM

As has been stated before even a 1 year old battery might have a problem. Having said that you could also have a starter that is drawing higher than normal amperage causing battery voltage to drop low enough to loose programming.

Unless your at really high mileage my bet would be a week cell in the battery even if it is fairly new...
Old 02-24-2012, 02:53 PM

For those who think this is a power problem. Please, go to your own HHR and try the following:
Remove the #23 Radio Fuse from the BCM and see if your radio preset stations are still present after reinstalling the fuse. The fuse should be a Blue 15AMP.

Before you do this be prepared to reset your clock at a minimum - I took note of all my radio presets, so if I did loose them I could easily return things to "my" normal.

My Clock needed resetting and the preset stations were still present. At least this is how my 2009 HHR operates. Lets hear from other years, possibly a 2006 would be best as this is the OPs year of manufacture.
Old 02-24-2012, 03:24 PM
Technical Moderator

I "think" that the station memory is the type that will hold for a while, like a capacitor not a battery. When I have disconnected my battery overnight the station memory was gone, but for an hour or so only the clock goes dead. That's a 2008 LT1.
Old 02-24-2012, 03:28 PM
Technical Moderator

Oh, and I would go with a wire going bad either to the starter (drawing too many amps) or to the radio (not getting enough). Probably something to do with the starter.

Quick Reply: Radio loses station memory