Chevy HHR Network

Chevy HHR Network (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/)
-   Problems/Service/Repairs (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/problems-service-repairs-42/)
-   -   2006 HHR radio does not work (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/problems-service-repairs-42/2006-hhr-radio-does-not-work-38426/)

vintage11 12-09-2011 05:12 PM

2006 HHR radio does not work

Hi Everyone,

I had the battery disconnected for about a week now the radio does not work. I have checked the fuses and nothing is blown. Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks

Steve

843de 12-09-2011 05:55 PM

:welcome8: to the forum Steve!

Being that the head unit has been without power for a week I'd say the security function has been triggered whereby it "thinks" its been stolen. You'll have to take it to your dealer and have them reprogram things so the head unit and the vehicle "know" each other again. After that you should be back up and rockin'.

vintage11 12-10-2011 11:48 AM

Thanks for your response. I thought of that too but there is no power at all now to the radio it seems. I have seen them when they are locked and they still have power and say locked. Does anyone lese have experience with this? I have seen this posted before and they have came back to life without reprogramming.

ChevroletCustomerService 12-12-2011 08:11 AM

vintage11,

I agree with 843de, your dealership can reprogram your radio for you. If you need anything feel free to ask, thank you!

Evan, Chevrolet Customer Service

Originally Posted by vintage11 (Post 606209)
Hi Everyone,

I had the battery disconnected for about a week now the radio does not work. I have checked the fuses and nothing is blown. Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks

Steve

db/sb 12-12-2011 08:27 AM

I think he has a different issue than the radio simply losing it's link to the vehicle. He says it won't power up at all. With all due respect, Evan, not even the dealership would be able to re program a 'dead' radio. I put a radio in our 06 that had been on a shelf for two years and it powered up but was 'locked' and I had to have it re linked to the vehicle. Did you check the radio fuse in the BCM?

vintage11 12-21-2011 02:30 PM

I have checked all the fuses in the underhood fuse panel and the inside fuse panel. All are good. Where is the fuse in the BCM? I am an ASE Master Tech but do not work on GM cars. i have called a friend that is a GM Master Tech and he says the radio is toast if there are no lights on and all the fuses are good. This car had the battery disconneted for a week and was on a battery charger. I have seen posts on the web about radio issues like this after jump starting. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks for the replies.

vintage11 12-21-2011 02:36 PM

I just checked. The inside fuse panel is the BCM. All fuses are good in the BCM.

ChevyMgr 12-21-2011 03:11 PM

If your buddy has a tech II scanner have him try and communicate with the radio. Then test the connector to verify voltage is going to the radio. If it's not then your radio is toast.

And yes Evan as db/sb said, you can't program a dead radio. It must have power and communication with the BCM.

vintage11 12-21-2011 04:26 PM

Thanks Chevy Manager. I was going to stop by the dealership he works at and have him hook up the Tech II but I have been swamped at my shop for the last few weeks. Just getting done with a frame off restoration of a real numbers matching 1970 LS-6 Chevelle 4 speed. Thanks everyone for the replies.

db/sb 12-21-2011 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by vintage11 (Post 607980)
I just checked. The inside fuse panel is the BCM. All fuses are good in the BCM.

Yeah, that was kind of a longshot anyway. Further researsh showed that the fuse I mentioned in the BCM is for both the radio and the power door locks. If your door locks were working the fuse was good.