Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

2007 blower motor issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2019, 12:43 PM

2007 blower motor issue

Hey guys, 10 year hhr owner and longtime lurker to these boards and my latest issue has me scratching my head for answers and hopefully someone can chime in and help. When I encountered this issue I came here for answers and several pointed to the butyl patch under the cowl panel with the leaking water, blower motor, resistor, bcm3, relay on the interior fuse panel, etc. Well to catch up whoever is reading this I have replaced the blower motor, resistor, relay 30 under the dash, bcm3 30 amp under the hood and when I connect a meter to the orange and brown wire that connects to the motor and turn on the fan speed control I get voltage but no motor activity. I systematically have went through and pulled fuses that wouldn't even make sense to be blown in hopes I'd get lucky. I have skinned wire looms back hoping to expose something that has rubbed together over the last 10 years with no luck. I have chased every single wire back as far as the fuse panel under the dash and to the climate control head on the center console and see nothing that would make me think I have a short.

This all started about 2 months ago when I would turn the speed control on it would hesitate. From there I would have to turn it on and off several times, then I would have to turn it on then rap on the passenger side of the console ( that area between the cover that goes over the fuse panel and the dash). Well 2 weeks ago it rapped itself out even after me beating half the dash and winding up with nothing but frustration and a red hand :).

Before I wave the white flag and go to a dealer I was hoping someone would chime in and point out something I may have missed.

Thanks
fatguy
Old 06-05-2019, 01:46 PM
Technical Moderator

Does your car have a butyl patch? Only 2006 and very early 2007 have it.

The brown wire carries voltage. Ground is supplied by the switch on the orange wire through the resistors.
The switch has been known to be faulty. Test by jumping the orange wire on the motor to ground (engine on).
Did you check the filter? They sometimes get soggy and slump into the fan.
Old 06-05-2019, 02:15 PM

Might be the HVAC headunit.
Old 06-05-2019, 06:46 PM
Administrator

Welcome to the site, please check the above suggestions, our friend hellshotrod is parting out HHR’s he should have a HVAC control unit. Send him a PM
Old 06-05-2019, 07:48 PM

If I ground it and the motor works does that mean the head unit needs replacing ? I wasn't sure what "switch" the orange wire grounds off of.

If I need a head unit I will certainly show patronage to other members first.

And thanks, glad to finally be here as a member and not a lurker lol.

Fat guy
Old 06-05-2019, 08:29 PM
Technical Moderator

How many switches control your fan?
Old 06-06-2019, 01:59 AM

Originally Posted by donbrew
How many switches control your fan?
I assume just the one in the center of the head unit. Although I've seen that referred to as climate control so the different names are throwing me off lol.
Old 06-06-2019, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by donbrew
Does your car have a butyl patch? Only 2006 and very early 2007 have it.

The brown wire carries voltage. Ground is supplied by the switch on the orange wire through the resistors.
The switch has been known to be faulty. Test by jumping the orange wire on the motor to ground (engine on).
Did you check the filter? They sometimes get soggy and slump into the fan.
So to update I jumped the orange wire to a ground with engine on and got nothing, but somehow still show voltage to the plug when tested.
Old 06-06-2019, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by fatguy_lilhhr
So to update I jumped the orange wire to a ground with engine on and got nothing, but somehow still show voltage to the plug when tested.
Is this at the fan motor or the switch for the ground (orange wire) ?
Ground wire will never show any voltage.
Old 06-06-2019, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by Cat Man HHR
Is this at the fan motor or the switch for the ground (orange wire) ?
Ground wire will never show any voltage.
What if the switch was on?

Quick Reply: 2007 blower motor issue