Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

2007 HHR Won't Crank/Start & No Fuel Pump

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2018, 09:47 PM

2007 HHR Won't Crank/Start & No Fuel Pump

Hello all. I'm currently working on a 2007 HHR that belongs to my sister. I'm at my wits end and could really use some help. This particular HHR is mostly a base model with the 2.2l ecotech engine and a manual transmission. Turning the key does nothing. The car will not try to crank at all, and the fuel pump doesn't turn on.

So far, here is where I am at with my testing:
  1. I first verified that all of the fuses and relays in the vehicle were good. I next made sure that the battery was fully charged and I have kept a high end trickle charger connected up while working on it. Lastly I checked to make sure that there were no check engine codes by scanning the computer.
  2. I did find some remnants of a remote starter that the original owner had on it. Many wires from an aftermarket unit were connected up under the dash. It was wired up to the PK3 key sensor, ignition power wires, brake pedal switch, and over to the bcm as well. I removed everything that I could find.
  3. The fuel pump does not try to prime when I turn the key to the on position. If I jumper the relay under the hood, in the fuse box, the pump turns right on.
  4. I decided to pull the starter and test it outside of the vehicle. I found that the solenoid was dead. However, the starter had been slowly dying prior to the current situation. A bad solenoid couldn't have damaged something else in the starting system could it?
  5. Next I tried connecting my multimeter to the starter wires, and with the starter still out I had my sister turn the key. Unfortunately, it couldn't be that simple and I saw no voltage on the starter wires.
  6. There are no security lights when using the key. To make sure it wasn't a computer problem, I tried swapping in a used ECM from another 2007 HHR with matching numbers from a local junk yard. I dId realize that this wouldn't fully work since the VIN numbers do not match, but I have an HP Tuner and can reprogram a replacement if necessary. The only thing that I saw different with the new ECM installed was that the security lights came on in the dash. The car still didn't try to crank over, nor did the fuel pump try to prime. A quick check of trouble codes now showed a crank position sensor error that I couldn't clear. I decided to put the original computer back in the car.
  7. I next tried a couple of different ignition switches that I got at the junk yard, and yet again I still got the same results of no starting.
  8. Lastly I did some further testing in the fuse box under the hood, I found that the I/P IGN fuse never gets any power, and the crank relay never gets power or engages.
Because my sister is on limited income, she can't afford to take it in to the dealership to get it fixed. And without it she can't get to work on her own. Therefore, it is up to me to get it fixed and at this point I am fresh out of ideas! I have no clue as to why I can't get power to the fuel pump or to the starter. I've read through multiple websites/forums and I've spent many hours searching online, but I haven't found the solution that I need. I'm hoping that someone here may have some idea of additional tests that I can perform. Any help at all is greatly appreciated. Thank you for reading!
Old 04-20-2018, 09:59 PM
Platinum Member

Yikes, sounds like you have done some good diagnostics so far.

You mentioned a "crank position sensor" code popped up. What is the actual code you found? Was it a recently generated code, or might it have been there from the start? (edit: ahhh you say you didn't have any codes at the start)

Hopefully Donbrew will pop in - he's pretty much our major expert with this kind of stuff.
Old 04-20-2018, 10:07 PM

Well I wanted to make sure that I did try to do everything that I could think of before being a noob and expecting someone to do the work for me! 😉

The crank sensor error was only present when I had the alternate ECM installed. Once the original ECM was put back in the car, it no longer had any trouble codes. I can only assume that it is either something stored in the junk yard ECM from its original vehicle, or because it was in an unfamiliar car.

Thanks for the reply, and I too hope someone else has some more ideas!
Old 04-20-2018, 10:43 PM
Technical Moderator

The crank sensor "error" P0315 is because you put a foreign ECM in that needed to learn the variation. If it was P0335 there is a wiring problem.

Did the car ever start? Did you check the run/crank relay and fuse as well as the crank relay and fuse?

The large red wire on the starter has no power? That is connected directly to the battery via the connection on the Fuse box. The purple wire to the starter solenoid is the trigger wire.

What about the Park/Neutral switch on the trans linkage?

If you are used to pre 1996 cars circuit testing won't tell you much.

Has the ignition switch recall been done? https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/gm-r...-status-50716/
Old 04-21-2018, 06:04 AM
Platinum Member

Old 04-21-2018, 08:43 AM

Take the battery out and have it load tested at an auto parts store. A bad/wearing out starter can wear out a lot of stuff. But it sounds like the battery might have a bad or broken cell.

If that is not the cause, one of the mods mentioned the neutral safety switch, which is a possibility. And you also said that you have tried different ignition switches and have tested the fuel pump.

I am wondering if the BCM might have lost the programming on the key itself? So if the key is not recognized by the shstem, I would think it would disable the things you are referring to. You will need a Tech 2 or equivalent to check and verify this and program any new keys. Has the HHR had the ignition recall done to it?

Check the battery first, and then move to other things.

​​​​
Old 04-21-2018, 09:05 AM
Technical Moderator

Originally Posted by UWZerokoolX

I am wondering if the BCM might have lost the programming on the key itself? So if the key is not recognized by the shstem, I would think it would disable the things you are referring to. You will need a Tech 2 or equivalent to check and verify this and program any new keys. Has the HHR had the ignition recall done to it?

​​​​
Does not happen. The "Scary computer" really only obeys orders from the chip reader in the ignition switch assembly. There is no "programming" to be lost. The Passkey III system is passive.

You might check on fuse #10 "HVAC/pk3" on the BCM.
Old 04-21-2018, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
The crank sensor "error" P0315 is because you put a foreign ECM in that needed to learn the variation. If it was P0335 there is a wiring problem.

Did the car ever start? Did you check the run/crank relay and fuse as well as the crank relay and fuse?

The large red wire on the starter has no power? That is connected directly to the battery via the connection on the Fuse box. The purple wire to the starter solenoid is the trigger wire.

What about the Park/Neutral switch on the trans linkage?

If you are used to pre 1996 cars circuit testing won't tell you much.

Has the ignition switch recall been done? https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/gm-r...-status-50716/

You might check on fuse #10 "HVAC/pk3" on the BCM.
It did indeed have a P0315 code with the used ECM installed. And with the original back in, there are no codes.

Yes I verified and even replaced the crank fuse and relay to be safe. It used to run fine before the current issue started.

I misspoke about the starter wires and no power. I DO have power to the main red wire at the starter. I also cleaned and made sure the positive wires going to the fuse block under the hood were properly connected. I am not getting any power to the purple trigger wire.

The ignition switch recall was done before she bought the car.

This one doesn't have a neutral safety switch because it is a manual. But it did have a new clutch switch installed in it a few months ago. I did try jumpering it just to make sure that wasn't the culprit.

I have manually checked every fuse in the car and they are all good.

Today I ran a new ground wire to just make sure that wasn't part of the problem. Unfortunately it did not make any noticeable changes.

I know the fuse panel under the hood has power, but whatever enables it to turn on the fuel pump and crank relays is not happening. I'm just stumped. Any other suggestions?
Old 04-21-2018, 02:16 PM
Technical Moderator

What about fuse #10 on the BCM?

What was going on just before this started?

How do you know the fuel pump is not running? It only runs for a few seconds if the engine is not running.

Can you check for hidden codes? Like P1631 and P1632, or 1 of several Bxxxx codes, they would not turn the CEL on.

Old 04-21-2018, 02:40 PM

#7 and #8 are both listed as "Transmission Safety Starting Switch", so be sure to check them both.

Quick Reply: 2007 HHR Won't Crank/Start & No Fuel Pump