Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

2011 HHR Rear drivers door will not latch

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2016, 05:12 PM

Question 2011 HHR Rear drivers door will not latch

Hi-

I'm trying to help out my sister. She has a 2011 HHR, and yesterday, the rear door on the driver's side stopped latching. You can close the door, but it won't latch. I've tried to operate the latch with the door open using a screwdriver, and the paw moves freely. For some reason, it will not latch closed. I sprayed some WD-40 on the latch with the same results. It looks like I might need to change out the actuator?

Thanks.
Old 05-02-2016, 05:16 PM

Maybe the striker plate has moved inwards too far for the lock pawl to close around it - try moving it outwards a little.
Old 05-02-2016, 05:30 PM
Platinum Member

I'd suspect the mechanical latch itself as I don't believe the actuator comes into play unless it is for locking and unlocking the latch itself. In other words, the latchitself does two things: latches the door (keeping it closed) - and has an added feature where it locks the latch so it does not open unless the actuator is operated. Hopefully that makes sense????
Old 05-02-2016, 05:31 PM
Technical Moderator

The pawl is not supposed to move freely. It is supposed to take a bit of work to latch, and then click.

The problems like that I have had were solved by some white grease on the striker and latch.

The actuator and latching mechanism are one part.
Old 05-02-2016, 05:37 PM
Platinum Member

x2 what Donbrew says

I believe the pawl should CLICK open, and CLICK closed when operated by screwdriver.
Old 05-02-2016, 05:53 PM

Thanks everyone....I will take a look at the striker plate to see if it has moved. I don't believe it has, but I will check. I will also try some white grease, and see if that helps.

When I work the paw to see how freely it moves, it seems to not be as tight as the other three doors. It moves freely compared to the other ones, which have a little resistance.

Thanks.
Old 05-02-2016, 06:19 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by whopper
x2 what Donbrew says

I believe the pawl should CLICK open, and CLICK closed when operated by screwdriver.
There should be 2 "click" positions. The first click is just the pawl engaging the striker plate(and will keep the door partially closed) The second click is when the door is completely closed and sealed against the weather stripping.

The mechanism is spring loaded so there should be some resistance when trying to activate it by hand like pushing it with a screwdriver.
The HHR mechanism seems to have a very light tension spring compared to some other vehicle latches I've worked on.
If the latch does not show some resistance, (or try to spring back) the spring itself may be broken or stuck.

Just for giggles. Try moving the safety latch control back and forth. Maybe it has gummed up with road grime.
It's the little white knob right next to the latch. 1/4 turn with a flat screwdriver.
Old 05-02-2016, 07:40 PM
Administrator

Welcome to the site, I see you have some help and directions, please let us know what worked for your door issue.
Old 05-02-2016, 09:26 PM

Will do. I'm going to try the white grease as well as cycling the child lock. I'm going to check the striker plate as well. If that doesn't work, I will look at purchasing the actuator that I have info on. I will have to check it out later in the week when I stop by my sister's place after work.
Old 05-04-2016, 09:52 PM

Sorry for the delay....I didn't get to work on the door on Tuesday. I took a look at it today. Here is where I'm at.

I tried the white grease. I applied it liberally, and worked the lock paw several times. I tried to get the door to close and latch with no success. I cycled the child lock several times, and worked the lock paw again. Same results. I was going to try to adjust the striker plate, but it looks like the upper torx fastener was stripped out. The #30 torx bit I had would not engage so that I could remove it. I was able to remove the lower fastener, but I was unable to move the striker plate.

I removed the actuator from the door. I didn't take it apart, but I did try to get it to latch to the striker plate as if it were inside the door. I could not get the paw to rotate into the lock position (door closed). I was able to get the paw to rotate to the locked position with a screwdriver, but I was unable to get it to do this when engaging the striker plate. I went ahead and placed an order for a new actuator. I'll try that when it arrives, and (hopefully), this will solve the issue.

Thanks.

Quick Reply: 2011 HHR Rear drivers door will not latch