Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

I want A/C on when I start the engine

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 07:19 PM

I want A/C on when I start the engine

I must be missing something here because I want my controls to default to circulate inside air when I start my HHR but it always has the outside air circulation button activated when I start it. Having the remote start feature, I want the fan controls in the cool position when I start it remotely so it is nice and cool when I get in. Can someone tell me if that is possible? I have turned the car off with the inside circulate button active but it always goes back to outside when I start it again.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, if it can even be done......

Mick
Old 05-09-2007, 07:30 PM
Platinum Member

Been discussed here before.....

When you set your a/c to recirculate and turn the car off it defaults to outside a/c air when you turn the car back on. Nothing you can do about it....it's the way it was programmed.

Side note....if you remember on previous GM vehicles. They always told you to use the outside a/c initially when you first operate your car to exhaust the inside hot air. Then switch to the recirculate later. It provided more efficiency.

So, I guess GM is making it mandatory , now, for those of us who refused to follow their recommendations.
Old 05-09-2007, 07:31 PM
jx3

That's the factory settings, my wife's Infiniti does the same.

btw.......
Old 05-09-2007, 07:34 PM
Founding Member

Check out other comments:

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/show...hlight=default

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/show...hlight=default
Old 05-09-2007, 07:36 PM

Thanks, that is what I thought I was going to hear since I didn't see a setting for it in my DIC.

I still love this little car. I have only owned it for a week and I like it more each day. Especially since it is getting 20 mpg's right off the dealer's lot in city driving conditions. 30 mpg's on the open road. My wife bought a new Dodge Nitro a few weeks before I bought the HHR and she is always asking if it is OK if she take MY car. No wonder, her Nitro is getting just 13 mpg's.......
Old 05-09-2007, 07:41 PM
Founding Member

Looks like you may end up a 2 HHR family!
Old 05-09-2007, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by Snoopy
Been discussed here before.....

When you set your a/c to recirculate and turn the car off it defaults to outside a/c air when you turn the car back on. Nothing you can do about it....it's the way it was programmed.

Side note....if you remember on previous GM vehicles. They always told you to use the outside a/c initially when you first operate your car to exhaust the inside hot air. Then switch to the recirculate later. It provided more efficiency.

So, I guess GM is making it mandatory , now, for those of us who refused to follow their recommendations.
There is a good reason. In warm weather the air inside the car tends to be hotter than outside so better initial cooling results happen by cooling the outside fresh air. The air conditioning would not cool as quickly on recirc as it is trying to cool hotter air. Now once the air inside the car is cool, that is then a differnt ball game.
Old 05-09-2007, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by SindyDix
Looks like you may end up a 2 HHR family!
Unfortunately, we use the Nitro to tow our trailer. It has a decent 5,000 lb towing capacity and the HHR is well short of that. Even with the "bigger" 2.4 engine I opted for the HHR just won't handle a trailer. It is great for running around town and toting our 2 Spanish Water Dogs around though.... I'm not complaining because in buying the Nitro it enabled me to trade my '04 Dodge RAM 1500 Quad Cab with its hemi engine for the HHR. Towing was 9,000 lbs but gas mileage was non-existent. About 8 mpg's when towing and 12 mpg's when not. It was really starting to hurt! With the Nitro I can still do some hauling when needed and some towing when necessary.
Old 05-09-2007, 08:43 PM

Get the window vents, in-channel/ stick-on.
Then you can leave the windows cracked open and not only is there air circulating all the time, but the a/c will have somewhere to blow the warm air out while the cool air replaces it...
Old 05-10-2007, 08:14 AM

Funny the reasons listed above why GM made it to switch to fresh air upon start up. We just got our new work vehicle in, a 2007 Impala. Guess what, you set it to recir, and when you start it up, it's on recir.........

It seems to be an HHR thing (and I'm sure others).

But if you want the A/C on when you hit the auto start, then turn the A/C on. Not the recir button. Seems simple enough.

Quick Reply: I want A/C on when I start the engine