Chevy HHR Network

Chevy HHR Network (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/)
-   Problems/Service/Repairs (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/problems-service-repairs-42/)
-   -   Auto transmission problem (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/problems-service-repairs-42/auto-transmission-problem-61420/)

HHRjim 02-23-2019 09:46 PM

Auto transmission problem

I have a 2011 HHR with a 2.2 engine. My current issues are: the transmission won't shift into 4 gear, the Cruse control doesn't work, the check engine light is lit and I can't read any codes with my code reader and it won't reset, the door radio speakers don't work, only the two tweeters work. I checked all the fuses and all are good and installed in the correct slots. I did replace all the brake light bulbs. BTW the car has 185K miles

donbrew 02-23-2019 10:07 PM

Why can't you read the codes?
Door speakers have a tendency to get wet and fail.

whopper 02-24-2019 01:58 AM

what he says - and if the check engine light is on, the cruise control is disabled. If the power outlet in the dash ("waterfall" as some like to call it) has no power then you have a blown fuse (the power outlet and the OBDII port
share the same fuse). If the fuse is intact, then what do you think it can be? Your code reader? And of course it won't reset if it can't even read the codes.

Great, you changed all the brake light bulbs - but can you explain why??????

HHRjim 02-24-2019 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by donbrew (Post 861250)
Why can't you read the codes?
Door speakers have a tendency to get wet and fail.

My code reader doesn't capture any codes and doesn't reset the check engine light.
i saw a post on this network that claimed burned out brake light bulbs cause the cruise to stop working.
I'll check that dash power port. I didnit ifind any bad fudes

donbrew 02-24-2019 09:26 AM

Were the bulb blown out? A burned out buld in the high mounted brake light will inhibit the cruise control, but other thing like a CEL do too.

Fuse #29 under hood fuse box is the one to look for. Or your code reader just sucks or you don't know how to use it.

HHRjim 02-24-2019 10:15 AM

The high mount brake lights were burned out.
my code reader worked on other cars I tested but not on this HHR

donbrew 02-24-2019 10:18 AM

Are you aware that there are 2 fuse boxes?

HHRjim 02-24-2019 10:21 AM

Yep I checked every fusr in both boxes.

Cat Man HHR 02-24-2019 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew (Post 861280)
Or your code reader just sucks or you don't know how to use it.

WOW that's a heavy duty statement.

whopper 02-24-2019 01:58 PM

sigh..... did you check to see if you had power to the power outlet on the dash? If it doesn't have power, the OBDII system won't either, and your code reader won't do a thing as it too will not have power.

I believe the fuse is #30 in the engine compartment. Swap it with an equivalent fuse elsewhere to verify the fuse is good.