Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Brakes and rotors

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2017, 11:34 AM

i as well did the SS update, as described on the site, keeping my original calipers and

IM HAPPY WITH THE RESULTS!!!

no need for cross drilled rotors and i hear from people that have done the 4 wheel disc swap on other cars and they say it was NOT worth the money nor time. all it made was the job of changing pads easier the next time.
Old 06-15-2017, 12:28 PM

Besides, the rear drums can last the life of the car and then some. And contrary to popular belief, drum brakes are very effective at stopping a vehicle, even big rigs still have them!
Old 06-15-2017, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by aradmahogany
Besides, the rear drums can last the life of the car and then some. And contrary to popular belief, drum brakes are very effective at stopping a vehicle, even big rigs still have them!
You've got two issues going on here, lets separate them...

The rear drums on the HHR can last the life of the car because they really are not doing much of anything to stop the car. Even if properly adjusted, which has to be done manually because the "self-adjust" mechanism doesn't work for cr@p, they might be good for 10-15% of the stopping power of the system at best... Most HHR owners (non-enthusiasts) don't even adjust theirs so those people aren't even using the back brakes for anything. This is why there are so many "front brake judder/shakes/warped rotor" threads here on the forum and in reviews all over the internet. Basically the stock rear brakes are way undersized, in my opinion, but sized just enough to get the car road worthy in the US.

Yes, drum brakes can be effective at stopping a vehicle if sized for that vehicle properly and have adequate cooling, (most don't have proper cooling ) but disc brakes are a superior method in many cases. Which is why they are used by most manufacturers of automobiles these days.

(Ask me about trying to stop a '69 Pontiac 4 door from over 120 MPH if you really want my opinion of drum brake systems.)

As far as big rigs go... They have air brakes using drums and don't stop very well anyways. (Apples vs oranges... and a dancing pickle )

Trips over soapbox and mumbles something about going off topic.

Old 10-25-2018, 02:23 PM
Administrator

My 67 Plymouth Belvedere 383 auto stopped nice 11 X 3 inch police /taxi brakes, those drums were like tossing out an anchor, headed into turn 3 at Pinecrest Speedway on a warm summer Saturday night.
Disc brakes weren’t allowed in that class, late model , it was considered to exotic!
Old 10-25-2018, 05:37 PM

I would do the SS non Brembo switch in a Nano second except for the spare tire issue. I just had a flat tire the other day. Very Small nail.
Adding rear Discs would really be the way to go but it adds considerably to the effort and costs.
Really depends on how you drive and how much you want to spend.
In states where the Hiway speed limit is 70-75 the Stock HHR brakes fall Short.
Where I live the Hiway speed is 55-60mph so I get by Stock and manually adjust the rears..
I have 38,600 miles on my 2011 2LT with 50% left on the front Pads.

Silverfox.
Old 11-02-2018, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by Silverfox
In states where the Hiway speed limit is 70-75 the Stock HHR brakes fall Short.

Silverfox.
Absolutely inaccurate. What proof do you have?

Of course... none. I work for another OEM in Chassis, but this is completely unfounded. Not even close to the facts. So inaccurate that I had to speak up.

Do not attempt to spread false "facts" If your statement were true, it would never have been built.

Last edited by donbrew; 11-02-2018 at 05:54 PM. Reason: made less offensive
Old 11-02-2018, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by Oldblue
Strange, the larger front rotors, do address the problem, at least in my case! Perhaps it's the inferior brake pads used in the swap?

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/brak...ard-hhr-42938/
It all goes back to the rears not pulling their share. If you increase the capability in front, it may work better. Some engineers (or cost-cutting beancounters) should have been fired over the front disc/rear drum setup. It takes too many tweaks to work correctly. No one does that. On a base model? Your customer is the least likely to adjust brakes. Come on...
Old 11-02-2018, 05:59 PM
Platinum Member

Offensive was a good choice of words there Donbrew. I almost deleted the whole post, but you beat me to it.

I guess what we also have to say is "please behave".
Old 11-02-2018, 06:02 PM
Platinum Member

Well tis time to close this thread.
Old 11-02-2018, 06:02 PM
Technical Moderator

I never had any problem with stock brake in excess of 500,000 miles. My region is high speed AND high traffic. When I say stop and go I mean panic stop, sit for 60 seconds, go to 70 MPH, panic stop, repeat 60 times; it takes 2 hours to get 35 miles on the Interstate.

Quick Reply: Brakes and rotors