Chevy HHR Network

Chevy HHR Network (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/)
-   Problems/Service/Repairs (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/problems-service-repairs-42/)
-   -   Catalytic / Electrical issue in just purchased HHR (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/problems-service-repairs-42/catalytic-electrical-issue-just-purchased-hhr-49364/)

motorjed 01-29-2014 06:37 PM

Catalytic / Electrical issue in just purchased HHR

Hey all, been lurking for a while because I was considering buying a used 2006 HHR, very cool to see so many people helping out others and passing along advice/info/etc.

So I bought it today (2006/175k, as-is), drove about 150 miles home and a check engine light came on. I pulled into a autozone, had them check it; turns out it was a catalytic converter issue, perhaps a failing oxygen sensor but nothing catastrophic (don't have the codes in front of me, but can get). Didn't think too much of it. Drove home & parked for about an hour.

I moved my car from the street to my garage, parked it and turned it off, I left the headlights on for just long enough to swap out a front license plate. Decided to buzz up town so I hopped back in, turned the key, and suddenly it starts clicking, lights flickering, and the display shows the car/lock icon and says "check charge system."

Did I buy a lemon? Is this simply a low battery in a North Dakota winter and a coincidence with the other check engine light? Is my briefly enjoyed hhr a goner?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Happy to answer any questions that may help get things figured out. Thanks!

firemangeorge 01-29-2014 07:02 PM

Welcome to the site. :thumb:

The first issue. Yes, you need to post up the actual CEL number so we can try to help you.
The 2nd one sures sounds like a case of a low/bad battery. It has the classic symptoms that have been talked about on this site.
Get the battery charged and tested to confirm if it needs replacing.

Snoopy 01-29-2014 07:08 PM

Regarding the headlights on and the "clicking" no start.........

Definitely a battery issue. These cars, with the original size battery, will not tolerate any extraneous drains. Leaving the headlights on for probably 10 minutes will drain a battery to a no start condition, especially in cold weather and a marginal battery.

If you have a external charger, use it overnight, you MIGHT be alright. But you will need a battery eventually.

Get the codes that were pulled and we'll work on that also.

Beat me to it, George !!!!!

donbrew 01-29-2014 07:32 PM

X2,X2

"catalytic converter issues" are not always catalytic converter issues! Learn how to research and save yourself money, I know I did (and some of it has been posted on this site already). Even a P0420 does not really mean "replace it" as most sources will tell you.

Lucky 01-29-2014 08:44 PM

Welcome to the site :smile: I agree with all of the above.

motorjed 01-30-2014 12:09 AM

click-click fixed

Thanks all - for the advice, and the warm welcome!

I went ahead and picked up a new battery and replaced the old one, just because previous owner had never done so & it does get ridiculously cold here, even if I do have it garaged. Started like a champ and seems to be running fine, though the check engine light is still on.

The previously mentioned error code is a P0420.

As for rest the vehicle, The previous owner did color match (burnt orange) the bow-ties, mirrors, & grill, so it's pretty sharp looking, if nothing else ;)
It certainly has the apparently usual rumble/clunk/etc. noises, but that one will have to be investigated a few paychecks from now.

sleeper 01-30-2014 12:19 AM

I hook mine to my Battery MINDer when not in use..

& Congrats on the new ride..

843de 01-30-2014 01:28 AM

:welcome8: to the forum!

The P0420 (Catalyst System Low Efficiency) code might be spurious in nature and connected to the battery that was marginal.

But it does bear watching as a previous owner may have ignored a CEL long enough for damage to occur to the converter.

prod 01-30-2014 02:13 AM

It is possible that the cat is still covered under the factory warranty, if that is the problem.

donbrew 01-30-2014 07:51 AM

Here is what I did.
https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/general-hhr-4/my-adventures-p0171-then-p0496-48626/

P0420, can be as simple as a bad flange gasket. If the engine is burning oil you may need a new cat, but, the #2 O2 sensor may be just gummed up.

What it actually means is that the #1 O2 sensor and the #2 O2 sensor are reporting close to the same O2 level, Whereas the #2 O2 sensor should be reading a much lower level than the #1 O2 sensor.