Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Battery Charger Operating Temperature

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 12:44 PM

Battery Charger Operating Temperature

I'm looking for an automatic battery maintainer to top up during winter heavy electrical load conditions.

Duracell 2A Battery Maintainer would do the job but its specs read Operating temperature: 32˚F to 104˚F (0˚C to 40˚C).

That tells me it cannot be used outdors in winter. Can anyone shed light on this issue?
Old 01-02-2009, 02:51 PM

I have a Vector 25A charger purchased at Sam's. This charger is excellent and works in all types of weather. In fact, it specifically adjusts the charging rate for ambient temperatures, and has separate settings for normal wet cell, Gell cell, and AGM (Optima) type batteries. Additionally, it has reverse polarity protection, will desulfate abused batteries, start-boost a dead battery, and best of all, automatically revert to a "float" mode when the battery is full.

Black and Decker has taken over the branding for the Vector chargers, but they are essentially the same as ever.

One danger to note. A battery that is completely discharged is vulnerable to the electrolyte freezing. You should never ever attempt to charge a battery that has frozen. It is extremely dangerous. This may be at the root of Duracell's admonition, or it may just be that the charger has no temperature compensation.