Chevy HHR Network

Chevy HHR Network (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/)
-   Problems/Service/Repairs (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/problems-service-repairs-42/)
-   -   Check Charging System / Auto lights not working (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/problems-service-repairs-42/check-charging-system-auto-lights-not-working-61400/)

billmac77 02-18-2019 11:32 AM

Check Charging System / Auto lights not working

So this morning I get a message to check my charging system, but don't notice anything else wrong. I get out of the car, and my headlights aren't on, although I always travel with Auto Lights on. If I manually turn the headlights on they seem fine. Can these be related? If so, do they point to something in particular?

Thanks,
Bill

donbrew 02-18-2019 11:39 AM

The DRLs don't come on until you put it into gear..

Go to your local chain auto parts place and have the electrical system checked for free.

billmac77 02-18-2019 11:41 AM

Good point. I hadn't thought of that. It didn't make sense that it would work one way and not another. Thanks.

whopper 02-18-2019 11:46 AM

Welcome - glad to see you have that very rare 1996 HHR. ;)

Since you have a message to check your charging system - do it. It sounds like either the alternator has died or the battery is on it's way out.

Who cares if the headlights aren't on at this point - fixing the charging system is your first priority and likely is the solution to resolving the headlight issue. IE: don't sweat the small stuff at this point

Did you verify that the serpentine belt is in place and not slipping (as it drives the alternator)?
If you have a multimeter/voltmeter, you can check the voltage at the battery:
- with the engine not running the battery should measure about 12.7v or more (which means the battery is ok - 12.4 or less typically means either the battery or the charging system needs looking at)
- with the engine running you should get a reading at the battery about 14v (which indicates the alternator is working).

Any auto parts store will do a free test of the system for you to confirm the status.
Be aware that if the voltage is low, you may need to have it towed, as even with a good battery it might not be that drivable for any distance.

donbrew 02-18-2019 12:21 PM

If it is a 2006 the headlights don't come on unless it is dark and in gear; the DRL is the parking lights

billmac77 02-18-2019 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew (Post 860874)
If it is a 2006 the headlights don't come on unless it is dark and in gear; the DRL is the parking lights

Yes, 2006, not 1996.

billmac77 02-19-2019 07:32 AM

Well, it worked perfectly on the way home yesterday and back to work this morning. I'm taking it in tomorrow for an oil leak so I'll have the mechanic give it a look.

Oldblue 02-19-2019 08:11 AM

Where is the oil leaking from?

billmac77 02-19-2019 08:13 AM

I couldn't tell. I don't have a garage and the weather has been brutal, so I just decided to take it in.

Oldblue 02-19-2019 08:19 AM

Sometimes an oil leak isn’t a leak just the engine telling you it needs attention, or a sloppy oil filter change, missed the oil opening when adding oil!
it can be a simple fix. I just changed the front cover oil seal for the harmonic balancer, about 10 minutes work.