Chevy HHR Network

Chevy HHR Network (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/)
-   Problems/Service/Repairs (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/problems-service-repairs-42/)
-   -   clear coating bubbles (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/problems-service-repairs-42/clear-coating-bubbles-66691/)

Anders 02-13-2024 07:51 AM

clear coating bubbles

I have a 2007 that is great shape but the coating looks like it is kind of bubbling in places. Is the fix to get repainted or is there anything else I can do? I want to sell it and I want it to look it's best

firemangeorge 02-13-2024 08:08 AM

Take it to a paint and body shop and ask them. You didn’t post any pictures so there’s no way we can tell how bad it is.

Oldblue 02-13-2024 08:16 AM

Welcome to the site, you may be able to scuff the surface with 600 grit , then spray with clear coat .
depends on how the colour coat has gone, is it chaulking? Faded?

Anders 02-13-2024 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by Oldblue (Post 944397)
Welcome to the site, you may be able to scuff the surface with 600 grit , then spray with clear coat .
depends on how the colour coat has gone, is it chaulking? Faded?

Thanks - the color is just fine it is just the coating so I will try that.

donbrew 02-13-2024 08:46 AM

The price you pay for Florida Sunshine, and putting off waxing.

Oldblue 02-13-2024 09:11 AM

Could just leave it, the patina look is popular. Vintage barn find faux patina is big

geg 02-15-2024 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by Anders (Post 944395)
I have a 2007 that is great shape but the coating looks like it is kind of bubbling in places...

The coating bubbles if there is rust under the paint... or if it was painted over dust during a poor-quality repair. In both cases there is nothing good.
You must understand your priorities.
You can sell “as is” and reduce the price; some buyers are looking for such options to save money and make repairs themselves in the future or take the car for a project.
You can invest in repairs in order to sell the repaired car at a higher price. This will require an accurate calculation.
If this were my car, I would choose the first option, but I would invest in a good wash and cleaning of the interior + performance of parts for comfort (lights are on, the AC is blowing, the doors don’t click). And also alloy wheels (even used ones) make a favorable impression on the buyer.

greg8453 02-15-2024 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by Anders (Post 944395)
I have a 2007 that is great shape but the coating looks like it is kind of bubbling in places. Is the fix to get repainted or is there anything else I can do? I want to sell it and I want it to look it's best

Typical UV damage. Do you know how to paint? No. Leave it alone or have it done by a painter.

jimvw 02-15-2024 10:30 AM

my 06 has UV damage on the pass side rear door/roof. I sanded it down a bit, resprayed it with a can, and clear coated it. Lasted about 2 years, then started peeling off again. Might have to do a little more aggressive job this time, but it looked OK for the 2 years. I'm guessing I didn't get it cleaned enough to stick. It is on the opposite side from where I walk up to it, and get in to drive, so not too concerned about it. Maybe a wrap or ??
I am guessing it sat in a garage with a outside window shining light on that spot forever or ?? I know it sat because ther ewa a ton of dust and dirt everywhere like it sat for a few years. Been a relativly good vehicle and I put a good 100,000 miles on it

greg8453 02-15-2024 10:41 AM

You have to go through the primer coat or it won't last.