Chevy HHR Network

Chevy HHR Network (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/)
-   Problems/Service/Repairs (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/problems-service-repairs-42/)
-   -   clicking noise from left front suspension area. (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/problems-service-repairs-42/clicking-noise-left-front-suspension-area-53166/)

earlthepearl 02-26-2015 11:48 AM

clicking noise from left front suspension area.

Hi! First post here and... I have a problem.

I have a 2007 HHR LS (2.2, manual trans) that is making a strange 'clicking' sound while driving straight. To further complicate the issue, this clicking noise only occurs while the vehicle is relatively cold; once it has been driven for a little (a few miles) the clicking noise almost goes away. The sound appears to be coming from the front drivers side, from the area of the suspension. I've noticed that it is very prominent when I drive next to a wall (like driving up to the drive through window of a fast food restaurant, for instance). It corresponds to the speed of the vehicle too (faster movement, faster clicking) but not with engine rpm; it only occurs while the vehicle is moving. And as I said, after driving for a little it nearly goes away. In fact, on a warm day it's hardly even audible!

My first thought about this was the CV axle... however, my understanding is that a bad CV axle is usually associated with this kind of 'clicking' sound while making a turn... and mine is doing it while driving straight. An inspection of the CV boots revealed that they are intact and look good. It's not making the kind of 'roar' sound I usually associate with bad wheel bearings. I've removed and inspected my tires for debris as well.

I'm wondering if this symptom could be caused by something other than the CV axle. It really does sound almost like when a bearing is hitting a bad spot in its race. I went ahead and removed the CV axle. I found that when I removed the axle nut, the end of the axle was already loose in the hub! I wasn't expecting this as it usually should require the use of a hub puller, or for the axle to be driven out with a BFH. My first response though is that I just got lucky and it came loose while using my impact gun to remove the nut. Did I just find the problem and not realize it?

I would rather make a logical repair based on the symptom I've described than just start randomly replacing parts. Any helpful suggestions would be appreciated!

Oldblue 02-26-2015 01:18 PM

Check the splines on the drive axle, if they are clean and straight then give the bearing hub a spin by hand if you feel a flat spot replace it.
The 3 rear hub mounting bolts are torqued to 85 ft lbs
The drive axle nut is torqued to 155 ft lbs
The lug nuts for the wheel are torqued to 100 ft lbs

Welcome to the site , good luck!

donbrew 02-26-2015 01:49 PM

You didn't mention my first thought: brake pad wear indicator/screecher.

earlthepearl 02-26-2015 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by Oldblue (Post 772849)
Check the splines on the drive axle, if they are clean and straight then give the bearing hub a spin by hand if you feel a flat spot replace it.
The 3 rear hub mounting bolts are torqued to 85 ft lbs
The drive axle nut is torqued to 155 ft lbs
The lug nuts for the wheel are torqued to 100 ft lbs

Welcome to the site , good luck!

Thanks for the response!
I checked the spines on both the axle and the hub and they are clean and straight. I also spun the hub and neither felt or heard any clicking, or anything that would indicate any roughness or wear. However, I'm doing this with the weight off the front wheels (it's sitting on jack stands). With no weight on the hub bearings, there could still be a problem but I might not be able to hear or feel it.

earlthepearl 02-26-2015 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew (Post 772852)
You didn't mention my first thought: brake pad wear indicator/screecher.

Thanks for the response!
I've checked the brakes and they are not the problem. The pads are well within their wear limits and there is no indication of any metallic contact that would cause this sound. I'm aware of what a brake pad wear indicator/screecher sounds like... this isn't it.

Oldblue 02-26-2015 04:26 PM

The. I would replace the hub bearing as a precaution and it is most likely culprit . If that cures the noise then buy a hub for the other side as they like to go south together!

donbrew 02-26-2015 05:05 PM

"the end of the axle was already loose in the hub" does that mean that you pulled the hub off, does it mean that the nut was loose, does it mean that the axle has play in it, does it mean that there is play between the hub and the axle? Or, any of the other possible areas that it could be loose.

IF there is play in the splines there is something wrong. IF the axle nut was loose there is something wrong. Axle play is normal.

Maybe something else is loose? Like the chin spoiler? Somebody once found a Dr. Pepper cap in the alternator making noise. Somebody once found a plastic bag stuck on something.

I think the hub is most likely bad. Hub end play should be less than .005 inch.

Oldblue 02-26-2015 05:09 PM

Good points Don are you saying my suggestion is incorrect and if so please state why

donbrew 02-26-2015 05:40 PM

"I think the hub is most likely bad."

Did you miss the last paragraph oldblue?

Oldblue 02-26-2015 05:48 PM

No but the added information about the tolerance I did miss, or did you just add that to fake me out? LOL

But I was thinking that everything should be reassembled and torqued properly to confirm the hub is toast

hhr06NJ 02-26-2015 06:02 PM

i had this. it comes and goes. click, click, click with each rotation. sometimes front, sometimes rear.

it was my HUBCAPS
I folded up some cardstock, wedged it between the hubcap and wheel, roadtest, and immdeiately gone.

Oldblue 02-26-2015 06:36 PM

Good point , I lost two hub caps on the way home from the dealership I bought the HHR from and have not run hubcaps since, at least the factory plastic ones

earlthepearl 02-26-2015 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew (Post 772868)
"the end of the axle was already loose in the hub" does that mean that you pulled the hub off, does it mean that the nut was loose, does it mean that the axle has play in it, does it mean that there is play between the hub and the axle? Or, any of the other possible areas that it could be loose.

IF there is play in the splines there is something wrong. IF the axle nut was loose there is something wrong. Axle play is normal.

Maybe something else is loose? Like the chin spoiler? Somebody once found a Dr. Pepper cap in the alternator making noise. Somebody once found a plastic bag stuck on something.

I think the hub is most likely bad. Hub end play should be less than .005 inch.

Thanks for the response!

earlthepearl 02-26-2015 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by hhr06NJ (Post 772874)
i had this. it comes and goes. click, click, click with each rotation. sometimes front, sometimes rear.

it was my HUBCAPS
I folded up some cardstock, wedged it between the hubcap and wheel, roadtest, and immdeiately gone.

Thanks for the reply!
Nope... hubcap was on tight.

earlthepearl 02-26-2015 07:15 PM

This is actually the next step I was going to do. Thanks for the tip!

earlthepearl 02-27-2015 11:48 AM

Great News!
I happen to have a subscription to 'alldata' and was studying the noise diagnostics chart for the suspension. One of the 'points' was to insure that the axle nut was torqued to proper specifications. As you may recall, I had mentioned that upon removing the axle nut the axle itself was already loose (I'm referring to 'in/out movement 'Donbrew'... not lateral or 'slop' in the axle/hub bearing fit ).

I checked all parts and everything seems to exhibit no significant wear. The only thing was the axle was already loose in the hub. This could really only be caused if the axle nut had not actually been fully seated and torqued as it should be. My wife had the car tires rotated at a local tire shop and there had been a 'free brake inspection' performed. I'm now of the opinion that someone had removed the rotor and in doing so had failed to properly torque the axle nut when re-installing it, allowing a tiny amount of 'play' in the axle and hub.

I think this is what was causing the mysterious click that was audible when the components were cold but went away as they warmed up. The juncture point of the axle and hub was slightly moving and got hot from the friction. I had noticed on inspection of the hub 'race' that there was some 'blueing' indicating that the race had been getting hot. The race got hotter than the axle and expanded, which took out the slight looseness. This caused the 'clicking' to go away as the car was driven.

I re-installed all parts and insured everything was torqued to the proper specifications then took it for a test drive; and guess what? No more 'clicking noise!Happy ending.

There are some things to be learned from this;

1.it's far more reasonable to eliminate the simple stuff (like a poor torque, for example) before throwing down money for parts.
2. If you want the job done correctly and know that it was done correctly, get the training, get the tools, and do it yourself. In God I trust, everyone else is suspect.

firemangeorge 02-27-2015 11:55 AM

Glad you found the fix. That is an odd one for sure.

Fwiw. The axle nut doesn't come off to remove the brake hardware. Don't be too quick to blame that local tire shop.

Oldblue 02-27-2015 12:55 PM

I reread my post #2 and see that I gave the torque specs and just assumed that a re torque and test drive would have confirmed the hub was good or bad.
The blue you mention from heat would warrant replacment of the hub as it should not get that hot

donbrew 02-27-2015 02:19 PM

You do not remove the axle nut to do ANYTHING to the brakes.

Had you defined the "loose" to begin with. We all would have suggested the nut. I know that's why I asked.

The "blue ing" is from welding in the factory.

Oldblue 02-27-2015 02:44 PM

Then cool beans all fixed!!!!

earlthepearl 02-27-2015 03:55 PM

thanks 'oldblue'!