Chevy HHR Network

Chevy HHR Network (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/)
-   Problems/Service/Repairs (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/problems-service-repairs-42/)
-   -   clunk in the front end (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/problems-service-repairs-42/clunk-front-end-20926/)

stick390 08-22-2010 10:54 AM

I ran across a post where the poly lock nuts on the end links were worn from the factory. a 5.00 dollar set of #8 hardened lock nuts along with lock washers solved the clunk problem. I just had this done at Goodyear. They charged me 5.00 for the nuts and lock washers and 15.00 to install. I haven't noticed the clunk yet. I think it was 12mm coarse thread nut that took a 19mm wrench to tighten along with a 17mm wrench on the opposite side to counter tighten. 4 nuts and lock washers.

dantesab 08-23-2010 09:20 AM

clunk

not the polly lock nuts because the new moog end links have no poly lock nuts and I had them replaced and mine is still clunking. I made a weird observation the other day it gets worse when it is raining outside or wet still have not figured that out yet but I think it is the swaybar bushings under car that is only thing I have not had replaced will take back to dealer soon to have them replaced and we will see.

kaspar 08-25-2010 09:32 AM

Replacement of sway bar links did the trick!

I had this annoying clunky noise for quite some time.

Yesterday, I finally managed to stop at my alley mechanic to get this taken care of. He confirmed that the problem was with the sway bar links.

We replaced them with moog sway bar links from O'Reilly Auto Store for about $33/piece. (Luckily they had them on stock)

Here's a hint for all do-it-yourselfers:
You'd think taking the sway bar link off is as simple as unscrewing those two screws and be happy it's just that easy. Well, you might be that lucky, I sure wasn't. These screws were so freaking dead froze stuck (rust) it took quite some liquid cutter and tons of elbow grease to get them out on one side. On the other side, we even had to take the torch and burn that sucker (bottom screw) off!

This is just a little feedback of my first hand experience I had last night. So if you're going to tackle this job, be ready to possibly having to use raw and brutal force! ;)

Well, from what I can tell so far, the clunky noise is gone!!! No clunking driving from the mechanic back home, and no clunking this morning driving to work. Yiippeeeeee

DohnerJ 08-25-2010 09:32 PM

SO all i have to do most likley is change the swaybar endlinks

dantesab 08-27-2010 10:22 AM

clunk

nope not that easy had mine replaced with moog ones and the clunk came back in a few days. I still think it is a problem with the sway bar bushings under the car that is the only thing that I have not had replaces so far.

stick390 08-27-2010 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by stick390 (Post 487530)
I ran across a post where the poly lock nuts on the end links were worn from the factory. a 5.00 dollar set of #8 hardened lock nuts along with lock washers solved the clunk problem. I just had this done at Goodyear. They charged me 5.00 for the nuts and lock washers and 15.00 to install. I haven't noticed the clunk yet. I think it was 12mm coarse thread nut that took a 19mm wrench to tighten along with a 17mm wrench on the opposite side to counter tighten. 4 nuts and lock washers.

check out this website.

http://www.angelfire.com/co/ladyjarr...03-08-006B.pdf

alot of options to diagnos with.

DohnerJ 02-04-2011 08:41 PM

I work at a used car dealer ship and we have run into these swaybar bushings here lately. The ones that hold the swaybar to the frame. I have changed struts mounts swaybar endlinks, control arm bushing, ball joints and still had that damn clunk, come to find out it was the swaybar bushings. But you have to get under the car and most likely messure the diameter of the swaybar most Manufactures use different sized swaybars. I have not tried this yet on my HHR but this is going to be my way of trying to fix it, I am going to get new endlinks and the bushing.

sleeper 02-04-2011 10:54 PM

start with the lowest priced part first, if a confirming diagnosis cannot be made..