Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Service Traction, Check Engine, Traction Control

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2017, 07:25 PM

Service Traction, Check Engine, Traction Control

2007 HHR 2.4 LT, 128,000 miles, well maintained, one owner

Sorry for the long post but after reading some other posts related to the same issue (and lack of supplied info) I thought it would be best to give as much information upfront as possible.

Service Traction showing in the display window (DIC).
Check Engine light is on.
Traction Control Light is on (TC).
Automatic transmission is shifting hard when changing gears.
Mechanic checked codes and told me that the Exhaust cam position sensor error code was present. Easy enough for me to change myself so I opted to change both intake and exhaust sensors.
Problem went away for a couple of days then it started up again.
Service traction light came on on my way to work. Light was out when I left work but came on again shortly before I got home.
Repeat this for 4-5 days in a row.
Same thing happens again but this time the check engine light comes on with the service traction showing in the display window (TC is lit also).
Took it to mechanic on Friday (16 Jun 17) and got the codes and cleared all error messages. Service Traction light came on within 300 feet of leaving his shop. Drove it for the weekend with all the previous mentioned errors showing up again. Went back to shop today (Monday 19 Jun 17) and got a copy of the codes this time and cleared all errors again. Nice mechanic said that he would need 1.5 - 3.0 hours to diagnose error codes and find the fault, then I would need to buy whatever part is required to fix it plus labor. Thought I would do a little research to see if anyone can help pinpoint the cause of these error codes.

P0014 Exhaust Camshaft Position (CMP) System Performance (Symptom 00) - Current DTC, Test Failed Since DTC Clear, History DTC, Test Not Passed Since Power Up, Warning Indicator Requested.

C0561 System disabled information stored invalid serial data received (symptom 71) - current DTC, History DTC, warning indicator requested.
Old 06-19-2017, 07:50 PM
Platinum Member

Guessing you didn't find this thread in your search. One of this sites most common problems and the cure. Rather long "Sticky" at 64 pages but well worth the read.
LINK==https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/how-...13-14-a-28779/
Old 06-19-2017, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
Guessing you didn't find this thread in your search. One of this sites most common problems and the cure. Rather long "Sticky" at 64 pages but well worth the read.
LINK==https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/how-...13-14-a-28779/
Yep, yep!! What he said!!
Old 06-19-2017, 07:57 PM
Administrator

The P0014 as per

https://www.obd-codes.com/p0014

Is most likely a harness is loose, very common
Check the cam position sensors
Old 06-19-2017, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by Oldblue
The P0014 as per

https://www.obd-codes.com/p0014

Is most likely a harness is loose, very common after changing the VVT solenoids
Check the cam position sensors
But OP didn't say he changed VVT solenoids. May have been what he meant, but he said cam position sensors, a common mistake with these codes.
Old 06-19-2017, 08:26 PM
Administrator

There corrected
Old 06-19-2017, 10:07 PM
Technical Moderator

The mechanic that told you "camshaft sensors" is an illiterate tool.

Just because a part is mentioned in a OBD2 definition doesn't mean it is broken.

It took us 20 seconds to diagnose the car. Replace the VVT valves, sometimes called camshaft position SOLENOIDS.
Old 06-19-2017, 10:17 PM
Platinum Member

I've just plain given up trying to educate people on that donbrew. Even googling p0014 will point one to the solenoids over and over again. Unfortunately the auto parts staff get it wrong time and time again.
Old 06-20-2017, 07:56 AM
Administrator

Yes, P0014 points to VVT component issues,

Incorrect camshaft timing Wiring problems (harness/wiring) in intake timing control valve control solenoid system Continuous oil flow to VCT piston chamber Failed timing valve control solenoid (stuck open)

Read more at: https://www.obd-codes.com/p0014
Copyright OBD-Codes.com

I was directing attention to wiring harness loose , so originally I wrote solenoids
Old 08-25-2018, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by vrg813
2007 HHR 2.4 LT, 128,000 miles, well maintained, one owner

Sorry for the long post but after reading some other posts related to the same issue (and lack of supplied info) I thought it would be best to give as much information upfront as possible.

Service Traction showing in the display window (DIC).
Check Engine light is on.
Traction Control Light is on (TC).
Automatic transmission is shifting hard when changing gears.
Mechanic checked codes and told me that the Exhaust cam position sensor error code was present. Easy enough for me to change myself so I opted to change both intake and exhaust sensors.
Problem went away for a couple of days then it started up again.
Service traction light came on on my way to work. Light was out when I left work but came on again shortly before I got home.
Repeat this for 4-5 days in a row.
Same thing happens again but this time the check engine light comes on with the service traction showing in the display window (TC is lit also).
Took it to mechanic on Friday (16 Jun 17) and got the codes and cleared all error messages. Service Traction light came on within 300 feet of leaving his shop. Drove it for the weekend with all the previous mentioned errors showing up again. Went back to shop today (Monday 19 Jun 17) and got a copy of the codes this time and cleared all errors again. Nice mechanic said that he would need 1.5 - 3.0 hours to diagnose error codes and find the fault, then I would need to buy whatever part is required to fix it plus labor. Thought I would do a little research to see if anyone can help pinpoint the cause of these error codes.

P0014 Exhaust Camshaft Position (CMP) System Performance (Symptom 00) - Current DTC, Test Failed Since DTC Clear, History DTC, Test Not Passed Since Power Up, Warning Indicator Requested.

C0561 System disabled information stored invalid serial data received (symptom 71) - current DTC, History DTC, warning indicator requested.
Same problem. Mine was CO460-5A . shop isolated it to a faulty steering position sensor. When these are done at shop, it's recommended that a re flash be done, as well as alignment.. Mine is being done on 8/27. I went thru wasted money for parts not needed. This part was the last part I ever thought of.

Quick Reply: Service Traction, Check Engine, Traction Control