Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Cooling fan fuse keeps blowing

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2018, 01:56 PM

Cooling fan fuse keeps blowing

Hello. I have a 2006 chevy hhr lt 2.4l and I've been trying to figure this out for a while so I can pass emissons test but check engine light keeps coming on. So how it all happen was my old mechanic unknowingly dropped a screwdriver and it got stuck in the cooling fan. It was fine diving it home but the next day I was driving for 10 min. and a bunch of white smoke was coming out of my hood. I pulled over found and took out screwdriver but fan blades were out of place. I replaced cooling fan but still doesn't work. Check engine light code is p0480 for cooling fan1 circuit and autozone said I needed new cooling fan relay so I got new relay. Still not working so I was looking in fuse box and noticed in spot 40 the 30 amp fuse for the cooling fan was blown. I replaced it but it keeps bowing. Any guesses why? Any help would be very appreciated as I need to pass this emissions test to get my registration back up. Thanks

Last edited by Jcup Multhauf; 04-13-2018 at 01:59 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 04-13-2018, 02:12 PM

Have you checked the wiring to the fan? There is a possibility when the tool dropped into it, it cut a wire that now touches the body of the car causing a short and blowing the fuse even with a new fan assembly.
Old 04-13-2018, 02:34 PM

From what I can see the wiring looks good. I don't see any cuts that could be caused by fan. But I'm looking at it from a top down view. I will double check and try and look underneath the wiring later.
Old 04-13-2018, 03:40 PM
Platinum Member

Welcome.
Looks like some early production 2006's had a different wiring set up. Shows a diode for the fan assembly. Might want to look to see which one your's has.

Fwiw. If it's blowing the fuse continuously, you've got a dead short. You should also make sure the fan blades are not hitting something.

Old 04-13-2018, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by Jcup Multhauf
Hello. I have a 2006 chevy hhr lt 2.4l and I've been trying to figure this out for a while so I can pass emissons test but check engine light keeps coming on. So how it all happen was my old mechanic unknowingly dropped a screwdriver and it got stuck in the cooling fan. It was fine diving it home but the next day I was driving for 10 min. and a bunch of white smoke was coming out of my hood. I pulled over found and took out screwdriver but fan blades were out of place. I replaced cooling fan but still doesn't work. Check engine light code is p0480 for cooling fan1 circuit and autozone said I needed new cooling fan relay so I got new relay. Still not working so I was looking in fuse box and noticed in spot 40 the 30 amp fuse for the cooling fan was blown. I replaced it but it keeps bowing. Any guesses why? Any help would be very appreciated as I need to pass this emissions test to get my registration back up. Thanks
Start looking at the wiring man.
Old 04-13-2018, 10:51 PM

The wiring looks good from what I can see. Is the diode conected to fan assembly? Cause I put in a whole new fan assembly. Thanks for the help
Old 04-14-2018, 06:15 AM

The wiring looks good from what I can see. Is the diode conected to fan assembly? Cause I put in a whole new fan assembly. Thanks for the help
Do you have the part number of the new fan assembly?
The diode is separate from the fan, light blue on fan is positive and the black is ground. Current flows one way in the diode, positive to negative. It's in the harness of the fans.
Old 04-14-2018, 08:53 AM

Okay please disconnect your battery and disconnect the wiring harness from cooling fans, take your multi-meter, set it to ohm's, and place both electrodes into the fuse slots to see if you have resistance. Test both sides (Fuse side and fan side of the wiring harness). If you have resistance, you have a short to ground.
Old 04-15-2018, 02:34 PM

It must be the wiring because every time I put a new fuse in it blows. Can I buy new wiring for cooling fan? I don't know to much about wiring and not sure what kind to get to replace it. Thanks for help.