Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Cracked block resolution, 6 months later...

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2017, 06:54 PM
Technical Moderator

Originally Posted by Oldblue
If he milled the head, then it would not be a block issue, either tear it down again and have the block magnafluxed.
Huh?
Old 12-11-2017, 07:03 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by donbrew
Huh?
Same here.

One porous block issue I read about (several years back), told of a crack that would show up between the cylinder jackets. Can't remember if it was between #2-3 or #3-4. It would allow the coolant to leak into the block and settle in the oil pan.
I know there was another area a leak could occur but can't recall where.
Hey Don. Was it a mounting bolt hole ?
Old 12-11-2017, 07:07 PM
Technical Moderator

There is the A/C mounting bolt hole that is drilled too deep on one year that I do not recall. Teflon tape was the fix.

However, I was under the impression that milling the head was asking for tolerance problems.
Old 12-12-2017, 08:31 AM
Administrator

In post #18, it is mentioned that the husband milled the head, yes possible piston to valve clearance problems, but milling the head would not open up any porosity issues as you mentioned in post #19, Don.

The block problem can be verified by magnafluxing to expose any cracks or porous surface
Old 12-12-2017, 08:39 AM
Technical Moderator

The problem was the milling in the factory exposed the bubbles and QC passed them. The TSB fix was to use Form-a-Gasket or similar.
Old 12-12-2017, 08:57 AM
Administrator

Alrighty then, so just smear it on the block surface or in a specific area , identified by the magnaflux process.
I read your post as a response to the head being milled.

Anywho, ZZP has bare blocks available, or short blocks with pistons and crank and rods, or long blocks
Old 12-12-2017, 10:37 AM
Technical Moderator

I can't find it now, so I'm working from memory.

It was the GEN1 & GEN2 blocks that were cast using the foam method. leaving tiny voids near the surface, subsequent machining would expose the void. The tiny holes were big enough that the metal gasket did not fill them. The recommended fix was to use gasket sealer on the block side of the gasket, like old time fiber gaskets.

I don't remember if they specified shellac or RTV type products.

The problem was solved by changing the casting method to sand in the GEN3.
Old 12-12-2017, 11:34 AM
Administrator

I’m thinking the TSB is in here somewhere!

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/prob...-thread-23231/

Just something to read after you order one of these

https://zzperformance.com/ecotec/gen...ort-block.html

Or one of these, be sure to tell them it’s going to replace an LNF

https://zzperformance.com/ecotec/ldk-long-block.html

Last edited by Oldblue; 12-12-2017 at 02:11 PM.
Old 12-12-2017, 10:09 PM

I agree with the OP about lack of quality in GM. My '07 has 130K kms on it. This year was the 5th brake job with rotors (I didn't buy GM ones this time), the steering rack gave up the ghost, a lower ball joint, the switch for the power seat ($100 part, are you kidding me?), and the intermediate shaft for the steering. That's just this year. Have had a section of the fuel line replaced, loose trim, switches (like the ignition switch that killed people, and GM knew about that going into production). It just shows that GM does not care at all about the customer. I keep looking at older vehicles now. Something pre-computer. Either that or I may just buy my first Ford. I have been a GM guy since the '70's, they have cheaped their way out of that. I look at Kia, Hyundai, and Toyota too....anything but a GM. The styling is so bland and ugly anymore too.
Old 12-13-2017, 08:52 AM
Administrator

Well, that has nothing to do with the OP’s problem with their 2.0 Turbo SS.
And don’t forget, your HHR and mine were built pre GM restructuring in 2009,
Maybe if y’all stay loyal to the GM brand then the other companies wouldn’t have a chance!
But wait the Ecotec was developed by Aston Martin, then Saab!
Remember the ‘80’s Chevy Nova? A rebadged Toyota Corolla? How’s about Fords mash up with the 70’s Ford Couriers, or Mazda B3000 pick ups.
Many car companies intertwine, many come and go, but if none of them attempted these projects, we would probably be walking!!
Or riding a bicycle, yea one of those companies morphed into Jaguar.

Quick Reply: Cracked block resolution, 6 months later...