Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Does FOB Not Working Also Disable Key Working

Old 08-01-2013, 11:14 AM

Does FOB Not Working Also Disable Key Working

Wife just called me from Hilton Head and said that she came out from a store and the FOB would not work and neither would the key in the door lock.

Probably haven't used the key to lock or unlock the car more than a handful of times in the 5 years we've had it so wear and tear should not have been an issue.

Did a search on the forum and there are lots of threads and I did do a lot of reading but didn't see if the FOB not working also disables the key's ability to work. Doesn't seem to make sense that the key would not work but perhaps there is some sort of electronic override that reject the key being able to work?
Old 08-01-2013, 11:42 AM
Administrator

when my key fob failed the key still worked, perhaps she can get the battery replaced with a CR2032, it is embossed on the key fob, and it will work again.
Old 08-01-2013, 11:50 AM
Platinum Member

No, there is no electric override. The key slot may need a shot of lubricant to get it working if the key does not turn - or the mechanism in the door may be jammed/broken.

Hopefully you can get the fob working, with a new battery, (or it just may need a cleaning of the silicone pad inside,or sometimes the holder for the battery needs re soldering to the board).

Do any of the other functions of the fob work?
Old 08-01-2013, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by whopper
No, there is no electric override. The key slot may need a shot of lubricant to get it working if the key does not turn - or the mechanism in the door may be jammed/broken.

Hopefully you can get the fob working, with a new battery, (or it just may need a cleaning of the silicone pad inside,or sometimes the holder for the battery needs re soldering to the board).

Do any of the other functions of the fob work?
When she called me I asked if there was any type of response with any of the buttons and she said "no". I asked how about the "Alarm" button but she didn't want to press that button for fear that it would, in fact, work and set the alarm off.

She finally did get in by continuing to press the "Unlock" on the fob numerous times. Ironically, after that the key would also unlock the door lock she said. She'll be back tomorrow so I'll know more.

Really funny that for the 1st time since we've bought the car on July 5th 2008, I didn't renew the Onstar. Wonder how Onstar works in situations like this?
Old 08-01-2013, 12:21 PM
Platinum Member

Sounds like the fob needs a cleaning/new battery or the battery cage has come loose from the board.

Interesting situation though - keep us posted on the final outcome.
Old 08-01-2013, 02:20 PM
Platinum Member

To me, it sounds like the internal hardware in the door was sticking. Since both the fob and the key started working again, it's seems to have freed itself up.
In hindsight, it would have been nice to now if your wife could hear the lock mechanism making any noise when she was trying the fob.
Looks like maybe time to remove the door panel and clean/lube the mechanism parts. Also may as well get a new fob battery for safe measure.

? Did she look to see if any of the other doors unlocked?

Let us know what you find..
Old 08-01-2013, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by JCJSS
Wife just called me from Hilton Head and said that she came out from a store and the FOB would not work and neither would the key in the door lock.

Probably haven't used the key to lock or unlock the car more than a handful of times in the 5 years we've had it so wear and tear should not have been an issue.

Did a search on the forum and there are lots of threads and I did do a lot of reading but didn't see if the FOB not working also disables the key's ability to work. Doesn't seem to make sense that the key would not work but perhaps there is some sort of electronic override that reject the key being able to work?

I'm really sorry to hear about your vehicle and would like to offer a helping hand. Could you please private message me your name, address, vehicle identification number, and current mileage. This will allow me to do further research on your vehicle.

Thank you,

Jessica L.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 08-02-2013, 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by ChevroletCustomerService
I'm really sorry to hear about your vehicle and would like to offer a helping hand. Could you please private message me your name, address, vehicle identification number, and current mileage. This will allow me to do further research on your vehicle.

Thank you,

Jessica L.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Thank you for your offer, Jessica. I'll have more info when car returns home this afternoon and perhaps I will pm you.

By the way, I am curious though if you no longer have an Onstar subscription is it no use to call the help number on the sticker that I believe is attached to the driver's side window.

Last edited by JCJSS; 08-02-2013 at 03:39 PM.
Old 08-02-2013, 03:37 PM

So wife is home now and I get in the car (just in case neither fob nor key works) and lock the door. My wife is on the outside with her fob and it doesn't work and she puts her key in the lock and she still can't unlock the door. I unlock it manually from the inside.

I get out and she gets in and she locks the door and my fob unlocks the car and my key does too. Lock again with my fob and use her fob and it doesn't unlock but her key works for me. Problem she had with her key seems to be user error but using a key is pretty straightforward and my wife is not a blonde (jk).

Guess the next logical step is to replace the battery in her fob.

Thanks for all the replies. Thought maybe before it was over I was going to have to drive over to Hilton Head and wanted to have some insight as to the possible problem.

I'm leaving in a few hours for a 3-4 week motorcycle trip to California so she'll be using my fob until I get back and then I'll take care of the problem. If a new battery doesn't solve the problem I'll chime back in.
Old 08-02-2013, 03:49 PM
Platinum Member

Envious on the motorcycle trip!!! Enjoy - Shiny side up. :)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Does FOB Not Working Also Disable Key Working