Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Car is all over the road!

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2018, 05:57 PM

Car is all over the road!

A few months ago I hydroplaned and spun around several times landing in a ditch. Since then I've noticed it feels like the wind is going to blow me off the road. It's really scary. I've had tie rod ends checked, front end alignment and new tires, none of that fixed it. Oh and the rack and pinion was replaced last year. What could it possibly be? It's the only vehicle I have and I'm scared to drive it, especially on the interstate! Please help😟
Old 04-12-2018, 06:32 PM

This is just a long shot but since you did not just hit something with your fronts it is possible buy going sideways into a ditch you could have stressed the rears in some way.
No way to tell without having them check it out thoroughly during the alignment process.

Did they do a 4 way alignment?
That's where they check the rears and if they are within specs they then align the fronts to track with the rears.
You have already covered most of the other possibilities unless they did not look for other damaged or worn front end parts.
How many miles are on the vehicle??

The other thing would be did they give you a Print out of the Starting and Ending specs.
They may have gotten the settings incorrect.
Have you taken it back to them and alerted them to your issue and to see what they think??
Also you should recheck the Tire PSI air pressures cold to make sure everything is correct. If your HHR has 16 inch tires the air pressure should be 30-32 lbs. on all 4 wheels. If you have 17inch wheels then your pressures should be 35lbs. on all 4 wheels.
Ask them to check your spare tire as well....It should be @ 60lbs. psi
The spares will bleed down in pressure over time even when just sitting there.

Silverfox
Old 04-12-2018, 06:53 PM
Administrator

Welcome to the site, X2 have your alignment shop recheck their work.
It could be lower control arm bushings, damaged steering rack, bent subframe, perhaps, I’m just more picky then them, but they did charge you for a service and your not satisfied with said service.
Old 04-12-2018, 07:55 PM
Premium Member

or it could be a mental thing...now you're paranoid while driving since that scary event.
Hopefully its an easy fix either way
Old 04-12-2018, 08:52 PM

Thank ya'll for replying so quickly!

At first I thought maybe it could be a mental thing, but others driving it said the same. I did not have the back alignment done,I didn't know they did rear alignments also. But I will have that done tomorrow! If that doesn't help, I guess having the bushings checked on the steering would be the next least expensive thing? Thanks again!
Old 04-12-2018, 08:58 PM

And make sure your tire pressure is proper. Last time I had tire service done, they aired the tires up to 37 PSI, the proper pressure is 32 for my SS. It was very challenging getting home.

I was the last job of the day, finished after closing time. I just wanted to get home, I didn't realize it would be such a problem, or I would have had them fix it.

to the forums!!
Old 04-12-2018, 10:13 PM
Technical Moderator

Ever thought about checking the air pressure in the tires?
Old 04-12-2018, 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by maureenbaker
At first I thought maybe it could be a mental thing, but others driving it said the same. I did not have the back alignment done,I didn't know they did rear alignments also. But I will have that done tomorrow! If that doesn't help, I guess having the bushings checked on the steering would be the next least expensive thing? Thanks again!
Just to make it more clear...... 4 wheel alignment.

Most shops just look at the rear tires for any unusual wear pattern on "front wheel drive" vehicles and if they see nothing out of the ordinary they do not make any rear adjustments unless the specs show otherwise.
Others do not even know how to make adjustments on the rear.

My Chevrolet dealer aligned my last 3 HHR's and did no adjustments to the rear but did give me a print out with the specs on a separate sheet for a reference and that told me that they had checked the rear for proper alignment as well as the front.
Once the rear has been checked and adjusted if necessary, they will Make any Front adjustments that are required including setting the center steering so your steering wheel is centered when going straight down the hiway.

If the guy that did your work "just stares into space" when you discuss this issue with him then I would not trust his answers.....

I would check the tires first since it is a fast and simple check.... Then test drive
All good shops should do that before they even start there alignment.

Silverfox
Old 04-13-2018, 08:48 AM
Technical Moderator

"All over the road" describes over inflated tires really well. Just 2 PSI will do it.
Old 04-13-2018, 09:21 AM

I personally think it's due to the body design. I recently made 2 road trips in which I got 36 mpg one way and 28 mpg the other. When I got 28 mpg, it was really windy and had to keep both hands on the wheel and was really rocking. I think this issue is just heavy winds. Just my opinion.

Quick Reply: Car is all over the road!