Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Electrical Issue Brake Lights/Rear Wiper/Cruise/ plate light

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2017, 03:51 PM

Electrical Issue Brake Lights/Rear Wiper/Cruise/ plate light

Hey everyone new here and having a big issues with my 2007 HHR.

It all started that every time I would push my brake pedal my rear wiper would turn on. Would do it just occasionally and finally does it all the time but will stop if the relay is pulled from under the hood.

Recently I noticed that my brake lights are no longer working when I depress the brake pedal, however if my headlights are on either auto on or forced they will be lit all the time. Turn signals still work. However if the car is off and I push the brake pedal my license plate light will turn on?!?! Also the 3rd Brake lights does not light up. As well as my Cruise Control will not work when my headlights are on.

any questions or help would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by Oldblue; 06-27-2017 at 05:31 PM. Reason: Typos and punctuation
Old 06-27-2017, 05:33 PM
Administrator

Welcome to the site site, possible ground wire issues, plausible multi switch issues
My HHR sensors say multi switch!
Old 06-27-2017, 06:35 PM
Technical Moderator

What was going on immediately before this started?

Any after market electronics, including LED lights?

Ground connection under right tail light, ground connection on left strut tower.

Trailer wiring?

The cruise control doesn't work because the 3rd brake light doesn't work.

When the headlights are on the tail lights are supposed to be on; are you confusing tail lights and brake lights?

Any sign of varmints nesting in the car?

There just is no intentional connection between all of those symptoms, must be 2 wire making contact with each other. (a 12V and a ground, could be a LED)

Here is a link to the ground locations. https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/how-...cations-56504/
Old 06-28-2017, 12:09 AM

Nothing really was going on it just kind of started. No varmin trails. Only aftermarket electronics are touch screen amp and sub. All that has been in the car for 3 years. When headlights come on tail lights and break lights come on and both stay on reguardless of depression of break. No trialer wiring.
Old 06-28-2017, 02:55 AM
Platinum Member

break = wrong
brake = correct
Old 06-28-2017, 08:13 AM
Technical Moderator

I hate autocorrect!
Old 06-28-2017, 08:40 AM
Technical Moderator

The only common point of all of the symptoms is the BCM or the wire harness near it. I almost never suspect computer modules. So, it almost has to be a wire tap problem. Did the touch screen and amp require tapping into wiring?

Try disconnecting the NEGATIVE battery cable for 30 minutes to reboot the computers. Don't do that if you have an emissions test soon.
Old 06-28-2017, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by donbrew
The only common point of all of the symptoms is the BCM or the wire harness near it. I almost never suspect computer modules. So, it almost has to be a wire tap problem. Did the touch screen and amp require tapping into wiring?

Try disconnecting the NEGATIVE battery cable for 30 minutes to reboot the computers. Don't do that if you have an emissions test soon.
Touchscreen clipped directly into the factory harness no additional wire tapping. From my research I was thinking BCM as well but BCM wouldn't control Cruise however if the cruise doesn't work with BRAKE lights out then that would make sense.
Old 06-28-2017, 10:42 AM

Soooo just did some more testing the BRAKE light issues only happens when the headlights are on. If the headlights are off all tail lights and brake lights work as normal
Old 06-28-2017, 11:58 AM
Technical Moderator

The cruise control will not work if the THIRD brake light does not work.

The third brake light is on a different circuit than the other brake lights.

You understand that the tail lights are not on when the DRL are on? I.E. on "auto" in daylight.

All of the rear lights are in the same bulb.

I will send you a couple of pdf files of the wiring via PM.

Quick Reply: Electrical Issue Brake Lights/Rear Wiper/Cruise/ plate light