Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Engine light still on after replacing sensors

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 01:57 AM

Engine light still on after replacing sensors

Engine light and traction control light were on in my 2006 HHR. Had codes read and was told I needed to replace the cam position sensor and the engine knock sensor. Replaced both and the engine light and traction control are still on. Does anybody know if these lights need to be reset or have any other suggestions.
Old 06-12-2013, 02:44 AM
Platinum Member

First off - WELCOME to the site.

RE: light still on - did you reset the Check Engine Light (CEL) with a code reader, or by disconnecting the NEGATIVE battery post for a few minutes?

Suggestion: whenever the CEL lights, get the code via a code reader and include them with your posting here, even if after the fact as in your situation here. It really help to know what happened previously, and what steps were taken including the parts replaced.
Old 06-12-2013, 05:11 AM

if you replace the sensors, it wont throw codes anymore, in theory, but you still need to reset them... whether with a diagnostic scanner or unhookin the positive cable, i do the battery cable just so i KNOW nothing will happen lol. buddy at work was telling me he reset his codes with a scanner, and his vehicle wouldnt start afterwards! now, whether hes BS'n or not, it makes you a little more cautious lol OH and for the record if you change your oil, to reset the "oil life %" you turn the key into the "ON" position and tap the gas pedal 2x..
Old 06-12-2013, 05:24 AM
Deceased

Never, and I mean never, unhook the Positive battery cable by itself Youngin...Besides giving old f*rts like me heart failure, you stand a huge chance of killing your electrical system.

For code clearing purposes, unhook the Negative cable for a minimum of five minutes, better yet...unhook it and have a cup of coffee.

Your friend very well could have rendered his vehicle unusable with a scanner, they can create all kinds of havoc if operated improperly.

To the OP, whopper gave the correct info, and Youngin sorry for the "old dude" type lecture....but I nearly dropped my coffee.
Old 06-12-2013, 05:35 AM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by hhryoungin
if you replace the sensors, it wont throw codes anymore, in theory, but you still need to reset them... whether with a diagnostic scanner or unhookin the positive cable, i do the battery cable just so i KNOW nothing will happen lol. buddy at work was telling me he reset his codes with a scanner, and his vehicle wouldnt start afterwards! now, whether hes BS'n or not, it makes you a little more cautious lol OH and for the record if you change your oil, to reset the "oil life %" you turn the key into the "ON" position and tap the gas pedal 2x..
The gas pedal tap reset only works on some. It does not work on my 2010 SS.
Old 06-12-2013, 06:56 AM
Technical Moderator

And, what code specifically did it throw. The guy that read it may not know the difference between a cam actuator and a cam sensor.
Old 06-12-2013, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by 843de
Never, and I mean never, unhook the Positive battery cable by itself Youngin...Besides giving old f*rts like me heart failure, you stand a huge chance of killing your electrical system.

For code clearing purposes, unhook the Negative cable for a minimum of five minutes, better yet...unhook it and have a cup of coffee.

Your friend very well could have rendered his vehicle unusable with a scanner, they can create all kinds of havoc if operated improperly.

To the OP, whopper gave the correct info, and Youngin sorry for the "old dude" type lecture....but I nearly dropped my coffee.

Wow you are very correct, i guess my brain wasnt on yet this morning LOL, i posted that at 0611. And no lectural offense taken! Id rather be right than an idiot lol
Old 06-12-2013, 08:58 AM
Administrator

the key to on and throttle pedal two tap does not work on my 2007 LT either.
Old 06-12-2013, 09:26 AM

how do you change it? i put it in turn it to acc. and look at the oil percentage, and tapp it 2x, it goes to 100%
Old 06-12-2013, 09:52 AM

1. Turn the ignition to RUN with the engine off.
2. Press the information and reset buttons on the DIC at the same time to enter the personilazation menu.
3. Press the information button to scroll through available personalization menu modes until the DIC display shows OIL-LIFE RESET.
4. Press and hold the reset button until the DIC display shows ACKNOWLEDGED.
5. Turn the key to LOCK.

Quick Reply: Engine light still on after replacing sensors