Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Evap Canister Solenoid connector

Old 10-20-2018, 08:04 PM

Yes, both sides of the connector were + with the jumper connected. I did not leave it connected afterwards.

What is the procedure for testing the continuity and crossover continuity? Would I have to disconnect the white wire from the ECM?
Old 10-20-2018, 09:30 PM
Technical Moderator

I would begin by pulling the pigtail out of the car. With a VOM set to ohms check each wire from end to end then see if there is a connection between the wires by looking for a continuity between A and B on each end and from end to end. Then check for continuity between A & B on the body connector, engine off

The pigtail is the most likely place for a crossover since the rest of the circuit is buried under carpet etc. Next place would be the connector on the ECM side

I posted a drawing of the body connector with the 2 relevant pins to check, The other 2 are NC.
Old 10-20-2018, 10:07 PM
Technical Moderator

There are 2 connectors on the ECM, I don't know which is X1, but pin #70 is the control signal for the EVAP valve it is only used on one of them.

Old 10-21-2018, 01:18 PM

I removed the pigtail and tested it as you described. On the + side there was no continuity and on the - side I got continuity a couple of times then nothing. There was no continuity across A and B at either end.

I did the continuity test on the body connector with the engine off and there was no continuity. Is it normal for no continuity at the body connector with the engine off?
Old 10-21-2018, 03:11 PM
Technical Moderator

What test points? Are you using a VOM? There should never be continuity between A & B on the body connector when it is not connected to the solenoid, if there is that is a short

If there is no continuity on the pigtail, I'd say that is the problem. Start by either repairing it or replacing it.
Old 10-21-2018, 04:08 PM

I tested the pigtail by touching the leads on my VOM to terminals A and B at each end with no continuity showing on either end. Then I touched the A terminal at both ends, then B at both ends. I did get continuity briefly on the B side but then couldn't duplicate it. Terminal A had no continuity at all.

I thought there should be no continuity at the body connector with the pigtail and engine off. So it's good there is none.

I went to my local parts store but they don't stock nor can they order that pigtail so I will attempt to fix it. I suppose it's a dealer part if a new one is needed.

Thanks.
Old 10-21-2018, 05:20 PM
Technical Moderator

I am not sure, but you might investigate if the jumper they do have for 2006 models would work. I don't know if it is made to go to the body harness or just to the end of the pigtail. Just lie to the parts guy about the year.

Most of those pigtails are available at good NAPA stores, I know the NAPA in Fredericksburg has or can get most of them. OR they could get the 2 connectors with wires for you to splice together. Dorman may carry the pigtail.

Somewhere in this thread is pictures of the old & new. https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/how-...t-44780/page2/

I believe the part number for the connectors are:
The 4 way is 12162144
The 2-way end is 12052463
Old 10-21-2018, 08:34 PM

Actually, the guy at my auto parts store did look at other model years to see if they might work but they had nothing. If I can't fix my old one I'll try NAPA too. Thanks for the other options.
Old 10-23-2018, 02:39 PM

You were right. I replaced the wires in the pigtail and now the CEL is off. I disconnected the negative battery terminal to erase the code. Is it possible that the code will return when the ECM has run through the readiness cycles?
Old 10-23-2018, 04:50 PM
Technical Moderator

It should stay off. A code reader would be able to tell the I/M readiness status.

All of the "circuit" tests run continuosly, pretty sure.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Evap Canister Solenoid connector