Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

im just not fit to have working HIDs!

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 06:08 PM

im just not fit to have working HIDs!

i just hooked up my 2nd 55w ddm kit in my fogs.. no factory fog switch, just wired to a toggle switch. i even tried bypassing the switch and fuse and just wiring directly to the battery for a second, and no matter what, only the drivers side lights up. same issue i was having with my headlights, but thats now fixed becuase i pulled the DRL fuse.

i swapped bulbs, both bulbs work on either side, so i know both ballasts and both bulbs work fine. i even tried another ballast even though i already confirmed both are working...same thing.
Old 02-20-2011, 06:10 PM

Wow, you are HID jinxed!
Old 02-20-2011, 06:10 PM
Premium Member

I was having a similar problem with leds on my bmw it was polarity that fixed it good luck
Old 02-20-2011, 06:15 PM

theres nothing else to troubleshoot though at this point, thats why im lost. its wired directly to the battery, no factory wiring/fuses to troubleshoot.

and Hillsdale, i know lol
Old 02-20-2011, 07:13 PM

Did you check your ground wires? Check the polarity on the side you are having problems with, if the polarity is switched it wont work.
Old 02-20-2011, 07:23 PM

And by polarity, you mean positive and negative from the bulb to the ballast?
Old 02-20-2011, 07:36 PM

thats right......just flip the connections over...180 turns around and it should work
Old 02-20-2011, 07:49 PM

Yeah check the polarity... but I doubt that is the issue. i'm sure he knows which wire was positive if he wires it in directly to the battery.

So let me get this straight... when running it thru the toggle, it won't light one side???

If you eliminate the toggle and go straight to the battery, they both light??
If they don't fire when using the toggle, the toggle might be bottle necking the power.

Is the car running during this or not?
If the cars not running, your voltage might be dropping when the first one lights, so there isn't enough power to light the 2nd ballast.
Old 02-20-2011, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by gcsd3742
thats right......just flip the connections over...180 turns around and it should work
the DDM bulbs have a male and female connector coming from it, as well as a male and female on the ballast. theres no way to mix them up.

now- the passenger side (the side thats not working), i cut off the connector on the ballest for one of the bulb wires. reason being, becuase when i had these in my headlights, the pin was bent, so i had no choice but to cut it off, and hardwire it to the bulb. but i've confirmed with both bulbs that it does work. its like when both bulbs are plugged in, it doesnt work. but i can get either or to work when only one is hooked up.

i have it wired direct to the battery with 12ga wire which i think should be thick enough, right?
Old 02-20-2011, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by Gas Man
Yeah check the polarity... but I doubt that is the issue. i'm sure he knows which wire was positive if he wires it in directly to the battery.

So let me get this straight... when running it thru the toggle, it won't light one side???

If you eliminate the toggle and go straight to the battery, they both light??
If they don't fire when using the toggle, the toggle might be bottle necking the power.

Is the car running during this or not?
If the cars not running, your voltage might be dropping when the first one lights, so there isn't enough power to light the 2nd ballast.
yea, polarity should be good. ground cant be an issue either, because its grounded to the same place my headlights are, and those work.

i cant get both to light, with or without the toggle. i did confirm that both ballasts and bulbs DO work though. i unplugged the drivers bulb, plugged it in the pass side, powered up, and it lit up. i took the passenger bulb, plugged in drivers ballast, and it worked. when i have both bulbs plugged in to the ballasts, only the drivers will light. i also tried with the car on, and i tried flicking the fogs on and off a few times. no go.

Quick Reply: im just not fit to have working HIDs!