Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

random shaking

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 05:33 AM

random shaking

Hey everyone. I have a random shaking problem . Some time it feels like my rear wheels are out of balance sometime it feels like the front and when you press the brake it gets worse . I think its one of 3 things . Out of balance wheels, warped rotor(s), or bad power steering motor . Also heard it could be a transmission problems from a co worker . Not really sure where to start or how to diagnose the problem . Sorry if you hear this problem all the time and I didn't use the search right. Thanks for any help
Old 12-02-2011, 08:15 AM

2010 hhr,

I'm sorry to hear you are having this problem. How long has this been happening? Do you know the status of your warranty coverage?

Evan, Chevrolet Customer Service
Old 12-02-2011, 08:35 AM

So you feel it all the time just a little, and it gets really bad when braking? Where do you feel it, in the pedals more or in the steering wheel? I had crazy shaking on my HHR before, turned out to be warped rotors, but you can brind it in to a shop and have them check balance as well. Not sure how it could be transmission....do you feel it when the car is shifting? Low speed or high speed?
Old 12-02-2011, 09:18 AM
Deceased

Have the wheels checked for balance and corrected if any of them are off.

Then have the front rotors checked, and the rear brakes adjusted. The self adjusters on HHR rear brakes are notorious for not working correctly, that puts extra strain on the fronts causing warped rotors and a pretty severe brake judder.

You can rule out the power steering motor and transmission just with the one symptom you described, "when you press the brake it gets worse"....that describes brake judder to a "T".
Old 12-02-2011, 11:32 AM

It's a very random even. One day its fine, another the steering wheels shakes . It's not an out of contol shake just enough to make me worrie. It's mostly felt around 35 and 60. Ya had me scratching my head when he said it was my transmission before I told him everything that was wrong lol but I figured the more information the better .
Old 12-02-2011, 12:00 PM
Platinum Member

Your coworker was probably thinking a torque converter "problem". But as others have suggested, not with all of the description you have provided.

If you are so inclined, You could rotate the wheels, to see if there is ANY recognizable change. If so, your problem is more than likely in the wheels......and probably a balance. If not, I would look at the front brake assembly as a possible problem.

Finally, IN A SAFE LOCATION, you may try applying the brakes with moderate force, to a stop, from a speed of about 40 mph. Do this several times allowing a very little time between for cool down......allowing quite a bit of time for absolute cool down after the last application (during cool down, remember to remove your foot from the brake pedal).

Good luck.....

Oh, and do have the rear brakes checked to assure proper application.
Old 12-03-2011, 09:49 AM

Rotating the tires is a good starting point for diagnoses.
Old 12-03-2011, 10:24 AM

Could it be just the road you are on? Don't laugh.... My car before my HHR was a foootball field long 85 olds 88 2 door sport. Like driving on your living room couch-never felt anything. Evey once and a while it feels like my HHR is wobbling also-but after I took notes on when & where it was happening I found it to be the road, not my HHR.

My neighbor complained to me he needed new shocks for his merc mountaineer. (I do his work for him) I took the truck out & it was fine. He still complained so I dropped the lower shock bolts and tested them-plenty of pressure left. Then I asked him why he feels his shocks are bad. Long story short, the only road he normally drove on had small waves/ripples in the asphault. Problem solved but no money in my pocket.
Old 12-03-2011, 10:34 AM

Rotating the tires wouldn't be enough. If the problem is with your tires, you really can't tell where the shaking is coming from. Unless just one tire is really bad. Best thing to do first is have your tires balanced and rotated at the same time. And have someone check your brakes while they're at it. IMO, you need a balance AND your rotors are warped. I just had all this done to my car recently and its fine now.
Old 12-03-2011, 12:46 PM

Try taking your car to a shop you trust and have them take a look at it. I have the feeling it is the same problem I had with mine, which were the sway bar links. I had to have them replaced and the shuddering went away.

Quick Reply: random shaking