Chevy HHR Network

Chevy HHR Network (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/)
-   Problems/Service/Repairs (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/problems-service-repairs-42/)
-   -   Faulty Speakers (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/problems-service-repairs-42/faulty-speakers-60455/)

Dena 06-14-2018 01:15 AM

Faulty Speakers

I'm having a problem with my speakers now in my 2010 HHR, one time you turn on the car n they all work fine, the next time you turn it on only one speaker is working quietly on the dashboard. After getting my driver side door fixed, it wouldn't open on the outside, after getting that fixed the inside door handle busted off completely! Now it can't be opened from the inside until we can replace the handle. I don't know if it is also shorting out those speakers. Something is strange as it is one day works n one day doesn't work but it seems it happens at the start of the engine. The menu is all set so any suggestions? Can't afford a dealer 😂😂

whopper 06-14-2018 02:14 AM

Speakers are a common failure item due to moisture in the doors - and yeah they will work sporatically. Just replace them. There are several threads and posts here on replacing them. Also some good info on replacing that broken inside door handle.

Dena 06-14-2018 07:37 AM

Faulty Speakers

Originally Posted by whopper (Post 845952)
Speakers are a common failure item due to moisture in the doors - and yeah they will work sporatically. Just replace them. There are several threads and posts here on replacing them. Also some good info on replacing that broken inside door handle.

thank you for the advice, we're going to do some troubleshooting today but it doesn't look good. We have a very trustworthy friend that fixed the door the first time, he'll be replacing the door handle soon. That door is the first thing I thought of since it's been such a pain but it's the one used the most.

Oldblue 06-14-2018 07:51 AM

Lotsa how to videos for the door handles.

Dena 06-14-2018 08:53 AM

Faulty Speakers

Originally Posted by Dena (Post 845971)

thank you for the advice, we're going to do some troubleshooting today but it doesn't look good. We have a very trustworthy friend that fixed the door the first time, he'll be replacing the door handle soon. That door is the first thing I thought of since it's been such a pain but it's the one used the most.

just came in from my troubleshooting, have to wait for later as they're working just fine for now, smh

Dena 06-14-2018 09:16 AM

Faulty Speakers

Originally Posted by donbrew (Post 816098)
I think that one actually continued in a different thread.

Is it a stock radio/HU?

Is there an antenna in the front? They tried to sell me one without it.

Is the antenna screwed in good?

The only way to get to the antenna base/amp is through the headliner, just behind the mirror.

Somebody recently said they had put a interior antenna on.

yes it's a stock radio n has always worked/sounded perfect. The AM/FM antenna is in the front n screwed in tight on the outside, no bends either. I don't want to disturb the headliner until necessary. I'll get my buddy Tony to look at it when he replaces the door handle for us. I hope the speakers don't have to be replaced!

donbrew 06-14-2018 09:33 AM

I moved the post here; I think this is where you meant it to be.

Oldblue 06-14-2018 10:08 AM

The intermittent speakers indicate weather or moisture related damage, run them until their dead and won’t work any longer , then replace them , 6 3/4 inch speakers

Dena 06-14-2018 10:47 AM

Faulty Speakers

Originally Posted by Oldblue (Post 845991)
The intermittent speakers indicate weather or moisture related damage, run them until their dead and won’t work any longer , then replace them , 6 3/4 inch speakers

thank you, out of curiosity if they are weather/moisture damaged I don't understand why ALL of them shut down, front n back leaving only the tweeter on. How do they all go bad at one time? When on they are ALL working, front n back. It seems like a short or bad connection somewhere. Confused....

donbrew 06-14-2018 01:17 PM

Those scary computers sense that something is wrong then shutdown to save their life. Really.

The chimes are heard on the left speakers. You hear them mostly on the tweeters since they are high frequency. Usually it is the driver door speaker that gets glopped up because the window seals get disturbed from elbows out the window more.